ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I bought a Rover

The Focus served its purpose well, but I fancied something a little different. Went off to look at MX5s, Mk2.5s, as the Mk1 doesn't really light me up. Sub-£1k budget - test drove five - all dogs.

So, bought this instead. Headgasket jokes etc etc etc. Bodywork is fairly messy, lots of scratches, some gouges, naff blow ins, mechanically it is pretty solid though, no rust underneath, been dry stored over most winters since 2003.

Fairly nippy 135ps version, decent on fuel, sounds alright. It's only going to do about 5000 miles a year commuting and the odd weekend blast.

Just had new discs and pads, brakes are not that confidence inspiring, there's a lot of bulkhead flex and the standard brakes are fairly pony. There's a bulkhead bracket mod and the Trophy model has AP 4-pots - so I'll probably upgrade to those if I can find some cheap - and some cheap 16s. Tyres are a mismatch, T1Rs going on soon. Depends if I upgrade or not.

10380287_10100240522744514_3633761382894758662_n.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I love these cars. Had one years ago for six months, no issues whatsover and ragged to death. I prefer these to drive over the mx5

Mork of Ork

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Passat R-Line
Get the uprated head gasket kit and it should be fine, Lotus ran the K Series in the Elise for years with no issue. They only started to get problems when MG Rover started to cut corners.

Or you could go insane and put a T16 in from the 220/420/820 turbo, the Maestro guys comfortably see around 300bhp from that engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Nice drive and at least you went for a good colour and facelift.

HG/

WRX
No point uprating the head gasket until it goes. They're great value cars. The V6 Civic ZS180 is the best modern MG though.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Fun cars, check the water pipes that run in the exhaust tunnel, they corrode quite badly near the ends and on the mounts and piss coolant out..

HG is a piece of piss to do aswell!

Clio 182
these are good fun to drive and cheep mum has one and never had any problems with it is an 02 plate done less than 60k and still not had the hg replaced

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think they're great cars for the money. Thumbs up from a fellow ginger!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
FLOL! Some folk on here make me chuckle. Financed up to their eyeballs for a 172. That's a good buy for sub £1k IMO.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
They are terrible. But you can put the roof down and forget about how terrible it is. The joys of Convertibles!

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
If that was less than a grand then it looks like a good buy to me!

I've never driven one and have read a lot of bad things about them. But recently I've started to think getting a 160bhp version for around the £1500 mark, think I need to have a go in one.

It's the internet, you can read bad things about any car. The ride is quite firm, same as a clio. Understeers, same as a clio. Poor build quality, same as a clio. Leaks, same as a clio. Rattles, same as a clio.

Other than that, perfect.