ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hydraulic lifters failing

rs182 r 5 gt turbo
Is it common for the hydraulic lifters to fail, done a rebuild recently and put some uprated cat cam springs in as I snapped a spring but no damage to head or pistons thank god, car was fine for 800 miles and now terrible noise from top of engine, it’s not the dephaser we had pulley cover off and this is from cold start throughout all Rev ranges

rs182 r 5 gt turbo
lost a finger off the side of one of the followers?
Not had the rocker off yet as it happened Sunday. So hoping to start stripping it down Saturday, so not too sure. I’ve had a few people tell me they dont ever fail so wanted to know if anyone has had any issues sort them

rs182 r 5 gt turbo
Not had the rocker off yet as it happened Sunday. So hoping to start stripping it down Saturday, so not too sure. I’ve had a few people tell me they dont ever fail so wanted to know if anyone has had any issues sort them
With them ^*

rs182 r 5 gt turbo
My worry is the crank pulley has had a slight slip and the valves are hitting pistons, had a camera down the spark plug holes and can’t see any marks or damage, when this happened the car started running lumpy too so wanted to know if anyone had lifter problems and wether it caused the engine to run lumpy

rs182 r 5 gt turbo
Have you checked the timing? Sometimes if the valves catch they dont make any marks on the pistons they just bend and they start to smash against the head instead.

Post a vid of the noise

Attachments

• B0A9FF1A-519C-46F3-887D-1FB8DED4D0B0.MP4
    15.8 MB
  • 5A50E836-0CD8-4190-B38E-862A31A98ECF.MP4
    15.8 MB
  • 80EC3CA7-EB49-4255-A861-E7D623C93BFD.mp4
    1.8 MB
  rs182 r 5 gt turbo
Have you checked the timing? Sometimes if the valves catch they dont make any marks on the pistons they just bend and they start to smash against the head instead.

Post a vid of the noise
I have checked the timing on cams and it’s sitting spot on. Not checked the crank timing yet as doing this Saturday morning

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I have checked the timing on cams and it’s sitting spot on. Not checked the crank timing yet as doing this Saturday morning
So how have you checked the cam timing but not the crank timing? Did you not put the locking pin in the crank when you checked the cam timing?

What poundage rate are the uprated springs? Did you fit them at the correct fitted height?

rs182 r 5 gt turbo
So how have you checked the cam timing but not the crank timing? Did you not put the locking pin in the crank when you checked the cam timing?

What poundage rate are the uprated springs? Did you fit them at the correct fitted height?
Car was running perfect for about 600 miles and then the tapping noise started on a short journey out Sunday. So when the timing was set after fitting the springs it was done with cam lock tool and pin with sump off. I’ve took cam caps off to make sure the the belt hadn’t slipped a tooth and they are still sitting as they should be. They are cat cam uprated springs for standard fitment and was told they sit at the standard height so no need for any adjustments on height

rs182 r 5 gt turbo
Car was running perfect for about 600 miles and then the tapping noise started on a short journey out Sunday. So when the timing was set after fitting the springs it was done with cam lock tool and pin with sump off. I’ve took cam caps off to make sure the the belt hadn’t slipped a tooth and they are still sitting as they should be. They are cat cam uprated springs for standard fitment and was told they sit at the standard height so no need for any adjustments on height
800 miles sorry, for some reason autocorrect changed it to 600

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Right ok. Well you’ve either got a failed/stuck tapper/tappets, one of the collets hasn’t swayed correctly, or as @bloke says one of the followers isn’t sat correctly. All my opinion, and I can’t listen to the sound files you’ve put on for whatever reason, so I can only guess at best.

rs182 r 5 gt turbo
Right ok. Well you’ve either got a failed/stuck tapper/tappets, one of the collets hasn’t swayed correctly, or as @bloke says one of the followers isn’t sat correctly. All my opinion, and I can’t listen to the sound files you’ve put on for whatever reason, so I can only guess at best.
Love these engines but what a pain to take the rocker cover off lol, will lock cams etc and get it stripped down tomo evening or Saturday morning to have a look. If you follow me on insta then I can send the video I posted on here, didn’t think it would work. zakkyboy_182

dan's cast offs.

forgot about the box sorry!!!!! will check tomorrow.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Love these engines but what a pain to take the rocker cover off lol, will lock cams etc and get it stripped down tomo evening or Saturday morning to have a look. If you follow me on insta then I can send the video I posted on here, didn’t think it would work. zakkyboy_182
I’m afraid I don’t do Instagram mate. I ain’t down with the kids! 😂

rs182 r 5 gt turbo
I’m afraid I don’t do Instagram mate. I ain’t down with the kids! 😂
Haha fair play, only use it for meets and family myself. Will say that when engine was first started after the rebuild the tappets took about 15 seconds to settle back in and the noise is almost identical to it

rs182 r 5 gt turbo
How many miles had the engine covered before the rebuild?
115,000 lol. I got it at 95k and done oil changes every 5k and I’ve looked after it. A fellow member on here once owned it and seemed to look after it but can’t say the owner after him who I got it from looked after it, I’ve had it 3 years now and never let me down apart from injectors once

rs182 r 5 gt turbo
68882985-FA5F-47FB-BF14-FEEFD760249E.jpeg
46163452-4C60-48DC-B9C0-60E1ED7DFA43.jpeg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
115,000 lol. I got it at 95k and done oil changes every 5k and I’ve looked after it. A fellow member on here once owned it and seemed to look after it but can’t say the owner after him who I got it from looked after it, I’ve had it 3 years now and never let me down apart from injectors once
Ah right ok, well it’s not monstrous mileage tbf mate. I’ve had these lifters apart to make a dummy for converting an engine to solid lifters, and I can see how one could fail and stick.

rs182 r 5 gt turbo
Ah right ok, well it’s not monstrous mileage tbf mate. I’ve had these lifters apart to make a dummy for converting an engine to solid lifters, and I can see how one could fail and stick.
Oh nice and looked at pms solid lifters but wouldn’t do them until I do cams and some other engine work.
What I thought was the uprated springs might have caused one or a few to fail due to them kicking back slightly faster and them not being used to it

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Oh nice and looked at pms solid lifters but wouldn’t do them until I do cams and some other engine work.
What I thought was the uprated springs might have caused one or a few to fail due to them kicking back slightly faster and them not being used to it
You’ll only need solid lifters if you start chasing big n/a horsepower tbh mate. I’m building one currently for one of my mates and that’s going on solids. Dry sump and 50mm itbs in the pursuit of numbers!

There’s a thread I started on here somewhere.

rs182 r 5 gt turbo
You’ll only need solid lifters if you start chasing big n/a horsepower tbh mate. I’m building one currently for one of my mates and that’s going on solids. Dry sump and 50mm itbs in the pursuit of numbers!

There’s a thread I started on here somewhere.
Yeah maybe in the future for me lol, had a fiesta xr2 years back on Weber’s and can’t beat that noise and always wanted something more current with itbs since. Nearly done it on my ph1 19 16v some years ago but had kids and put them first. And scrapped the ph1 lol

rs182 r 5 gt turbo
No worries mate! Yeah definitely keep us posted!
Post update done the dephaser and still a problem with top end noise and rattling. Rocker cover off and all followers seem ok but does anyone know if they are supposed to go back to a solid state after testing them

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Post update done the dephaser and still a problem with top end noise and rattling. Rocker cover off and all followers seem ok but does anyone know if they are supposed to go back to a solid state after testing them
There’s no real way to test hydraulic lifters mate. Did you put them in a vice and squash all the oil out of them? You would’ve been better off buying a new set of INA lifters and putting them in tbh.

rs182 r 5 gt turbo
When they was originally refitted into the engine they was left out a few months and then soaked in oil for 10 minutes prior to placing them back in. Tonight I was told to put in a vice and any that are ok shouldn’t be able to squash that easy and the failed ones will release the oil inside. My brothers place is an ina dealer so he’s ordering them for me tomorrow. I’m getting oil to the dephaser too so I’m assuming the solenoid is ok too. All the rockers sit fine and all valves and springs sitting perfect too

rs182 r 5 gt turbo
Post update. Done followers and dephaser and found that a injector has completely failed and gone dry and Caused rod knock so I think it’s done the big end and main bearings. crank is coming out and having bearings done