ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hunting big power

Clio 197
Hi all I have at last started my project racer. my spec list is below I will post pictures as soon as I can as parts have finally started to arrive.
ENGINE.
300M steel crank
300M steel rods
300M steel mains caps
Tri metal engine bearing set
TK mains studs
TK head studs
I S Clairingdon nuts through out
Structural spec alloy engine brace
Omega coated custom high compression pistons
CNC port flow machined cylinder head
Custom designed Hollow billet steel cams
Inconel valves
Supertec conical titanium valve springs
Birrilium valve seats
Custom made 55mm tapper single throttle bodies
Custom made inlet manifold
Custom made carbon fibre air box
Stainless steel exhaust manifold with carbon fibre silencers
5 bar fuel pressure regulator
4 Pico 12 point injectors
4 Pico twin point injectors
TRANSMISSION
Sadev ST82 6 speed box
140mm twin plate clutch
300M 2 kilo flywheel
TMP falppy paddle gear change kit
ELECTRONICS
Race technologies DL1 data logger and dash kit
Magneti Marelli ECU
BODY WORK
Custom carbon fibre wide body kit
carbon fibre rear wing
WHEELS
Rays 10 x 17 rims
Dunlop slicks

This is the vast majority of the spec and I hope to have the whole car finished by the end of the year. If I can work out how to do it I will get some pics up of the parts that have arrived and the engine builds.

Hope you like it

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
Ah excellent, I only searched for your previous 'big power' thread the other day wondering if it had gone any further.

Looking forward to seeing this thread

Gman

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
This is for all the "not worth spending lots of money, it only a Clio" bregade, that's a crazy list many ££££s will be spent, good luck.

Clio 197
This is for all the "not worth spending lots of money, it only a Clio" bregade, that's a crazy list many ££££s will be spent, good luck.

Here Here Scotty, the Clio has real prospects and we don,t push it will be forever left behind, so I,am pushing. LOL

Clio 197
What are you competing in by the way?

Right now I am competing as my car in full rebuild state, but I hope to do BARC and move on to britcar all gong well that is. I have been testing a loan vehicle and that's proved to be quite a tool, so here's hoping.

I really wish you all the best with this as 300 beans from an NA F4R is going to be bloody impressive but there's one thing that's bothering me that I'm not sure if you've covered or not..... that being the piston speed issue you encounter when running an F4R at high revs, they have a 93mm stroke.... that means if you're going to 9000RPM or thereabouts (which you'll probably need to in order to make 300bhp) you're facing down the quite frankly MASSIVE mean piston speed of nigh on 28MS a second (or as us engineers put it REALLY f**king FAST!!!).

If you work on the basis (and it's a good one) that MPS is actually an aerodynamic limit rather than a mechanical limit then it starts to look like a massive pain in the arse to get where you need to be with regards RPM. Working from MPS = Mach Index X mach 1 air speed under operating condition (i.e. altitude/ambient) X mean efflux coefficent X geometric area of valves / geometric area of the piston you'll see how difficult it becomes to exceed circa 27MS.

If we look at some data from the Mugen MF 301H-A F1 engine, which we can assume was a pretty efficent donkey and despite being well over a decade old may be considered better with regards mean efflux coef. than the Renault F4R 830 and possibly worse with regards gav/gap due to larger bore size and valve size, then 0.6 X 340 X 0.429 X 0.3 = 26.26M/S MPS. 26 M/S MPS is pretty much the limit we (and many others) work on as being doable. 26 M/S MPS would give you (assuming 93mm stroke) a max rev limit of around 8400RPM.

Now 8400RPM doesn't cut it, when we did the S2000 engines we figured this out pretty quickly so (first time we've shared this!!!) what we did, which I still think was a great get out, was increased the bore size to 84mm and decreased the stroke to 90.2mm - this gave us 1999.7CC (so under S2k limit and actually a touch more than a standard F4R) and more importantly an MPS of 25.5M/S at 8500RPM, even better it let us give a bit of leeway on the downshift to 8650RPM.... not as good as Brownies Hondas but pretty good considering what we had to work with!!

So what I'm trying to say is that if you keep stock stroke and limit yourself to 8400RPM you're going to need a seriously monty cylinder head, induction setup and exhaust setup to get close to your goal. Move the goal posts by buggering about with bore and stroke and it suddenly becomes pretty possible..... of course you need to totally redesign the crank and rods and there are few issus that appear with the shorter stroke but it's all entirely doable if you're engineers are good enough.

This is one of those projects that moves from "stick some strong bits in" to having to engineer some proper stuff and that makes it really bloody expensive. Especially if you need to life it accurately, investigate harmonics for crank damping etc.

Hope that's of interest to you.

Golf GTD Mk7
I'm can't believe that that makes sense to me. Maybe the beers helping :) great impartial advice as always matt

Schma Schme 1.6l
just send it to neil brown. simple......but get ready for a bank transfer from hell.

if it ever comes to fruition that is.

Clio 197
As always thanks Matt for your advise, but these guys have this all under control they laid this all out on the line right up front and yes we do have the cylinder head from hell, and yes it was silly expensive but it gives the results. The motor gives its power @ 8500 piston speed at max RPM 8750 is 25 M/S so all is good.

We will see when it gets on the dyno that's for sure.

Thanks again

Clio 197
Last edited:
  Clio 197
I guss I did somthing wrong as the picture did not come out:S

5830360150_5554c49830.png

ST82-14 by nodded, on Flickr

Last edited:
  TrackCar & F30 330d
Just seen this thread. How long will that engine last? One seasons racing?

The flywheels looks rediculus! Cool as fook.

Good luck with the build i hope it all comes together.

Oh and who is building the engine/doing all the work?

Clio 197
Well Its been a while now but things have moved on more bits have been delivered

Firstly at last the flappy paddle converted steering wheel
5940729575_f1c9ab0b07.jpg

Steering wheel by nodded, on Flickr

Next up My custom made Carbon Air box rear section being machined for throttle bodies
5941225272_5a8f44a8bc.jpg

Carbon air box by nodded, on Flickr

Next up some pics of the alloy block brace being made
5941287880_9ed86ee9f5.jpg

Block brace1 by nodded, on Flickr

5941288048_e627a395b2.jpg

Block brace 2 by nodded, on Flickr

5940666179_fb1d940a55.jpg

Block brace with O ring groove cut by nodded, on Flickr

5940666343_c1b906c9be.jpg

Block brace with O ring by nodded, on Flickr

Last edited: