ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Humming noise from rear on engine?

Evo
Hi all last Saturday evening a did a 300 mile trip around and through London in the pissing rain. The next morning I started up the car and immediately noticed an unfamiliar noise from behind the bulkhead. It's a low deep hum, much like a supercharger, which picks up and down with the revs up until about 3000rpm when the exhaust tone baffles it out.

outside the car it cannot be heard but under the bonnet it's easily located to the rear of the engine, as far as I can tell not the alternator or PS pump, car has AC delete so no compressor. Dropping the clutch doesn't affect the noise so I've ruled out a gearbox fault and the clutch and bearing and within a year old and genuine items. Heat also doesn't affect the noise.

cars a 172 ph1 2000 with 96000 miles and regularly serviced, has recently had new PS pump due to a leak and new alternator after a failure. I suspect it could be cambelt related, either the tensioner or dephaser although there's no common idle knock from it. Car also has a ktec silenced decat dunno if an internal failure here would make such a noise but its definately in the right place.

Any ideas chaps?