ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

humming from the rear

hello all,

when driving my car now I get a humming noise that comes from the rear. unsure as to what side its from though. the noise doesn't seem to get any quieter or noiser just stays constant although when picking up speed maybe the exhaust noise is cancelling it out.

anyone got any ideas as to what things I could check and how before I have to take it to a garage?

172 cup
either new discs, pads and bearing at around £100 parts

or if discs are ok then bearings at around £10 each from factors

i'd say its your bearing..deffo..

look for cracks on your rear disks however...but that wouldnt make a constant humming noise...that would be intermitant...

is there any way of checking the rear bearings before replacing them? and also aren't the rear bearings normally sold already pressed into the rear discs?

Black 182
Too check the rear wheel bearings , jack the rear of the car up and give the wheels a wiggle from top to bottom and side to side, if that shows nothing obvious the spin the wheel as fast as you can with ur hands and listen for a low pitched rumbble noise, also whilst the wheel is spinning put ur hand on the back of the hub so you can feel any roughness from the bearing being tranmitted through the hub which will confirm the bearing is failing.
Also check ur tyres to make sure they are not out of shape causing the noise u are experiencing as an out of shape tyre can sound the same as a noisy bearing .

thanks for the info casson182. fingers crossed i'll have the car up over the weekend and will give it a check then.

all sorted :) was the o/s/r bearing. bearing and being pressed into disc for £35...robbing c**nts at the local garage, but as i needed the car pronto was the best i could find (being a saturday didnt help).

thanks to all that helped solved this case :)