ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hub nut doing my nut in!

White R26/Stripped Valver
Heya guys,
im trying to remove the front suspension strut from my pug 106 xsi, ive taken most of the bits off, but i cant get the hub nut off!! ive tried most things but no luck, any of you guys got any tricks or tips??

Cheers

Mario.

Golf MK6 GT TDI
wd40? bigger wrench? hit it with a hammer first be try and free it from the rust that has welded the nut to the car? dunno?

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
this prob wont be much good as youve taken most of suspension off

but i removed centre cap from wheel, put wheel back on, let car sit on floor, then got breaker bar on it, if no luck get a piece of scaffolding onto the breaker, leverage is your friend :D

removing the hub cap probably wouldnt have worked anyway as its got gti alloys on it lol!:rasp: ive sprayed nearly half a can of wd40 on it. but i will try beating seven shades of s**t outta it and then get some uber leverage!! keep the ideas comming guys
Cheers.

Lots of Alfas
Let the wd40 soak in overnight then retry the next morning after a nice big english breakfast.

Failing that buy a powered torque wrench. One with about 400NM should do it.

Clio Mk 2 Ph2 DCi 80
Angle_Grinder.jpg

ValverInBits
Hub nuts are a b*ast*rd.

It is normally the first thing you do before even taking the wheel off. But as you said the GTi alloys aint gonna help.
Wouldnt have thought it was reverse thread, never heard of that before.

Haynes manuals always say dont put the brakes on to do it as you can ruin calipers. i dont beleive that but i do think you could F**K a gearbox by leaving it in first to do it.

You are going to need a socket and a breaker bar, about 1m+ long. When i had to get one i went to a scrappy and found a steel pipe that would slot over my current short breaker bar.
LOTS OF LEVERAGE, it's the only way

Renault clio S 1.4
Make shure the threads are really clean leading up to the nut, give a good spray of wd 40, and duck oil. Plave ya socket an bar on as close to the bodu of the car as u dare, the place your long bit if scaff pipe over it, have it about a foot off the floor and stand on it, even jump up and down on it, the shock shud get it undone. Do you have an air gun handy?? failing that, depending what your doing, show it sum heat, but be careful not to melt gators etc etc p.s does it have a indent where the nut is bashed into a groove on the threads, a locking mechanism?

ValverInBits
p.s does it have a indent where the nut is bashed into a groove on the threads, a locking mechanism?

Thats a good point. Nearly all hub nuts are locked in some way. The ones on my 205 had a collar on the front that was bent into a groove in the shaft

Renault clio S 1.4
Thats a good point. Nearly all hub nuts are locked in some way. The ones on my 205 had a collar on the front that was bent into a groove in the shaft

Bin along while since worked on one, and cant quite rember, but worth a try

cheers guys. it did have bits sqaushed in to the groove but ive already freed them. will fish around for some duck oil and as for air tools i dont have a compressor. will definatly try some heat tomorrow and ill let you all know how i get on. Looks like im gonna spend more money on tools that it would of cost me to get it fixed at a garage!:eek: