ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how would you know your alternator is on its way out ?

172 SPORT PH2
When I set off, its like a whining sound comming from that area, I could get a video but I'm at work atm, also it might not be charging right as some times, when I start the car, it may struggle to start but it does, might be the starter aswell ?any ideas

Evo 8 MR
If it's like a squeeking sound then it'll be the fan belt which squeeks like a b***h whenever theres a bit of moisture in the air.

When you start it up if it feels like its struggling then what I suggest is leave the car at a standstill for about 10 minutes whilst holding the revs at about 2.5k then turn it off.

If the problem persists then you either have a dud battery or a dud alternator but remember if there's no charge going to the battery then your dash light will come on.

Peace.

My alternator developed an internal short. Just sounded like the power steering was always at full lock.

You could tell if it is this by touching the alternator. If it's red hot it has a problem.

172 SPORT PH2
it couldnt be an engine mount could it, as it shakes the engine now and again when i start it.... as it struggles to fire uo, but like i say it only happens now and again?

Audi TT
My alternator developed an internal short. Just sounded like the power steering was always at full lock.

You could tell if it is this by touching the alternator. If it's red hot it has a problem.

How did you sort this mate? Did it make a burning smell as well? Mine is making quite a bit of noise like you describe and noticed a burning smell :(

Audi TT
Well mines bit the dust. Wont start without a jump now. Proper fooked off as need car for work next week and only got monday off.
Any ideas where to take it in east mids. Closer to LE14 3YG the better. Cheaper the better also :'(