ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How would you know if you needed to change your steering rack?

No car
As above.. My steering feels rather delayed. Very slow to respond and its been like this for about three weeks! I just wanted to know how you could tell your steering rack needs changing. I thought it might be the brakes being warped. changed the front. steering felt better but not back to its original state.

Thanks.

Clio 172 Cup
I knew I needed to change mine on my previous 182 because whenever I fully locked it to the right it made a horrendously loud click.
So loud in fact that whenever I parked, people 20 feet away would quickly turn around thinking I'd hit someone else's car!
Get your local garage to get it on the ramps and check it if you're genuinely worried.

No car
Oh really, there used to be a noise coming from one side when on full lock! Horrible screeching noise, it's gone now. Like you said, gona take it to a garage to diagnose!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd be trying a few other things before I went to the expense of replacing the rack!!

Black Gold Trophy
I've done one so far, leaking end seals, probably me being pedantic but the owner said it felt much improved to drive afterwards, and obviously didn't leak anymore!

As said before Mr.172Cup feel free to bring it to me mate as I'm pretty local to you

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Knocking while turning sounds more like a fubar CV Joint, my mates megane has some play in the rack which is apparently to do with the rack being on it's way out.

Black Gold Trophy
whats the labour on fitting a rack? hours? had an advisory on mine for the mot

Fair bit, involves dropping the subframe, plus the unions on the rack are usually a bugger to get out, I had to get them red hot before they would budge for me!
5 hours if you have a 2 post lift I'd say