ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to Squash Car Tutorial (photoshop)

How to squash a car in photo shop.
A lot have been requesting for one of these kind of pics so heres the tutorialJ

For the best effects, get a good quality photograph, of the side of the car, something similar to this. Here I have Zippy172's Megane. =]

Once you have your picture, make a duplicate.
I.e. CopyofImage01

Open both images in Photoshop. You should now have something like this.
Picturee1.gif

Select any of the images then click: Select All
Edit
Transform
Scale.
At this stage reduce the scale to about 50% You can increase this amount depending on how much you want to squash it. N.B don’t squash too much as this will have bad effect later.
Once squashed, crop the image and press enter, now you should be left with something similar to this.

Picture2.gif

Click the unsqaushed image. Use the Poly-lasso tool to cut around the wheel and the wheel arch. E.g.
pICTURE3.gif

Copy and Paste what you cut into the squashed image.
Right Click: Free transform to position the wheel/arch
Use the eraser tool, adjust the opacity and size and blend. You should end up with something like this.
Picture5-1.gif

Repeat the above with the other wheel. . . .
Picture4-1.gif

. . . Fin

Nath

::please note::
This is not a request thread, but a guide so you can learn to do it yourself. Please keep any photoshop requests in seperate threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
  "Navy" N17 TWO
Re: How to Squash Car Tutorial =]

Looks good that :)

Someone on here was asking me how to do that the other day... problem solved!

130i Road, 172 Track

Thanks for the how-to guide!! I had a quick go ;) bit rough but it's only for my avatar so doesn't matter too much

^ not really ;)

I ind the more you squash it, the greater the effect. I usually go around 40% of the original size... although the more you squash, the harder it is to make the final image 'work'

^ not really ;)

I ind the more you squash it, the greater the effect. I usually go around 40% of the original size... although the more you squash, the harder it is to make the final image 'work'

:dapprove:

martynrg

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I've got my two images up, but when I go to Edit, then Transform....I can't click on transform because it isn't in bold. Any ideas why?

Bumder With A Buffer
That last one looks like them Charg-E remote control cars you used to get if anyone remembers them??!!

Megane Mk4
Another tip to this is, after you have added the wheels, some of the detail dissapears due to the overlay (bump strips, side indicators etc.) a good tip is to re-add the detail to it too, makes it look 'normal' in a shrunken mini car sort of way.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
its even harder when you introduce a slight angle into the car like this...think I got it right?
Untitled-1-2.jpg

Was really struggling with this, tried loads of photos before I found a couple where it worked. Then I come on here and realise that people are happily cutting door frames off and stuff, which I was desperately trying not to do!

Here are a couple anyway, loads of room for improvement but it's great for practicing photoshop skills.

316641310_g6i6G-L.jpg

316641449_Qu2va-L.jpg

Put a little more thought into this one, put the side-badges back on, extended the panel lines onto the arches and generally tried to make it a bit tidier. Wheels aren't quite the same size though.

316694097_SyaqD-L.jpg

Put a little more thought into this one, put the side-badges back on, extended the panel lines onto the arches and generally tried to make it a bit tidier. Wheels aren't quite the same size though.
if you didnt adjust the size of the wheels. . .it wouldv been perfect

glad this small guide has helped =]