ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to remove locking wheel nuts without the key..

BMW 1 Series
Does anyone have any helpful hints about how to get my locking wheel nuts off without the key? the last owner helpfully lost it. I just bought a new set of alloys and need to change them over but my current ones are now stuck on haha.

Someone suggested welding a metal bar onto the nut and then twisting it off, but I dont have a welding kit unfortunately lol..

so i'm open to any ideas lol

Thunder

alien green rs133
get a socket that is just too small to slide over locking wheel nut, hit with hammer till wedged then undo bolt as per normal :D

MODDED 172
as hutchie said mate you can get a star shaped socket its very sharp in side good for cutting into the metal for added grip. When hammering it on

BMW 1 Series
Nope m8y the look more like 2 sockets :)

ahh cheers, i shall take a wander to halfrauds tomorrow and have a look. also i know its very unlikely, but my mate has a bog standard clio extreme with alloys, would her locking key work on my nuts? although i suppose that defies the point of having a key in the first place.. lol

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Make sure your locking wheel nut isn't the type with the washer around it, otherwise the halfords tool is useless!

BMW 1 Series
well I have no idea if its a standard renault locking wheel nut or not unfortunately, but its a * shape one (if thats any help whatsoever lol), i'm pretty sure it hasnt got a washer on it. I went and picked up the tool from halfrauds today, so just gonna wait til i can sponge a 1/2" ratchet off one of my mates. failing that i'll try the smaller socket or the chisel approach lol

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
i'm positive my extreme had the washer around it.
it spins with your hand when the nut is tight?

BMW 1 Series
Just had a look now as i got hold of a ratchet, it doesnt have a washer round it, although the halfords tool is no good as the nuts are recessed into the alloy, the tool is too big to fit into the hole (stupid dezent alloys). I tried using a 19mm socket, which was the closest fit to the nut, packed it out with some J cloth and tried turning it, but the J cloth just got ripped to shreds. I also tried using an 18mm socket, but this was way too small, so hammering it on would be impossible.

And i cant chisel + hammer it off for the same reason, as the nuts are recessed. The previous owner must have got them off at some point as the front wheels dont have locking nuts on them, only the rear ones lol. so unless i can find an 18.5mm socket from somewhere, im running out of options :(

i suppose somewhere like kwik-fit could sort it, but i dont want to have to pay a huge amount if i can avoid it lol

RB 182
take it to kwik fit. took mine in there on thursday as my *shaped locking wheel nut decided no shred itself. took them off with a socket in 5 mins no charge:)

BMW 1 Series
take it to kwik fit. took mine in there on thursday as my *shaped locking wheel nut decided no shred itself. took them off with a socket in 5 mins no charge:)

Cool, well i'll take it down to kwik fit tomorrow and see if they can do anything with it, hopefully they'll have something which will fit into the hole and be the right size to get a grip on the nut lol. this is such a pain! all i want is my new wheels on :( lol

5 gt turbo clio172cup
That tool from halfords is utter rubbish!!!!!:(

The best method i have ever found is whacking a socket on it really hard and turning it off. It worked for me everytime:approve:

ITB'd MK1
That tool from halfords is utter rubbish!!!!!:(

The best method i have ever found is whacking a socket on it really hard and turning it off. It worked for me everytime:approve:

does work, depending on the design of nut. I've got a selection of locking nut removers and between them I've always found something that works

BMW 1 Series
well after 2 and a half hours of sitting in the freezing cold i've finally got them off!
hammered the socket onto the nut and twisted the first one off fine, tried to same with the second one....and the extension arm snapped.. leaving my socket rounded off stuck in with the nut.. after about an hour of drilling i was finally able to make a big enough hole to get both the socket and the nut out :)

but as its too cold and dark i cant be arsed to change my wheels now, so will be leaving that job for tomorrow. keep an eye out for pics of the new wheels in the media section at the weekend :p

cheers for everyones help lol