ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to remove front suspension top mounts

RenaultSport 172
Ok yes it's a stupid question. I've got both bottom bolts out but the top mount nuts are incredibly tight.
Just want to know if there is a technique or special tool I can use? It's hard to do it as I need to also hold an adjustable spanner on the flat above the nut also.
Going to buy a better spanner
Is this the right one or is there a better design?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=301582962000&globalID=EBAY-GB

Thanks for any help

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
You're best loosening the top mount while the car is on the ground, so that there is less load on the mount.

They usually require an impact gun just to buzz them off though.

Reactions: Gus
  RenaultSport 172
It's not the standard suspension so no Allen key. It's similar but need a spanner instead. Tried turning both together as hard as possible but it ain't going anywhere!

SQ5
Bar will just spin the shock.

Somebody must have one local.

Pity as I was down your way Saturday :( do you work closer to the border at all?

RenaultSport 172
I can't drive the car as I'm stripping it. It will never drive again lol

The shock won't spin if I have a spanner on the other part. Will it stop spinning so much if I jack it up from underneath to put some load on it?

People saying use a buzz gun, surely the shock will just spin anyway

SQ5
I can't drive the car as I'm stripping it. It will never drive again lol

The shock won't spin if I have a spanner on the other part. Will it stop spinning so much if I jack it up from underneath to put some load on it?

People saying use a buzz gun, surely the shock will just spin anyway

I could lend you the gun if you work further north at all was what I was meaning!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Its really hard/impossible without an impact wwrench. I tried all sorts, various swan neck spanners, allen key in the top bit to no avail. I tapped with a hammer, then tried a blow torch but gave up and went to a local garage who had an impact air gun and had it off in 10 seconds.

Ex 182 owner
Yep.. As everyone else has said. I had to buy a cheap electric impact gun to do mine. Took seconds after that.

RenaultSport 172
Ok. So anyone near Wickford wanna do me a favour?
Don't really want to buy one as I'll probably never use it again

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Get the swan neck spanner on the top mount, Weld a spare wheel bolt on top of the exposed thread (as if you were removing a sheared bolt, Get a big as breaker bar on the bolt and lean your body against it. Apply strength of moderately brawny panda to swan neck. As soon as its loose grind the welds to get the spare bolt off.

Worse case, you lose a mm thread

RenaultSport 172
If he doesn't have a battery impact gun do you really think he's going to have a welder?

Well actually, my brother does have a decent welder!
However I'm going to be selling this suspension so I'd like to leave it good condition.
Tempted by an impact gun as it will help me out with other stuff in the future but it's not really something I need that much

I'll try jacking it up tonight and see how that goes

Clio 2.0 16v 182
If he doesn't have a battery impact gun do you really think he's going to have a welder?

You're looking at £250+ for a decent impact gun. £75 for a budget stick welder. Welders work no matter what the price but if you buy a cheap impact gun you're going to be using breaker bars for everything anyways. I was using the logic that money and time was a factor.

mk1 Octavia VRS
Try some PlusGas - has helped me free off stubborn things a number of times - including the front shocks on my car with hand tools.

RenaultSport 172
All sorted guys. I jacked it up to compress the shock a bit, and my dad remembered he had an impact wrench last used about 30 years ago!
Few whacks of the hammer and hey presto.
Thanks for all your help

SQ5
You're looking at £250+ for a decent impact gun. £75 for a budget stick welder. Welders work no matter what the price but if you buy a cheap impact gun you're going to be using breaker bars for everything anyways. I was using the logic that money and time was a factor.

LOL f**k Off.

I bought my Sealey reconditioned one 7 years ago for £85, it's been chucked, dropped, rattled like f**k and it still goes strong. I've not even oiled it once, and it's never seen an issue.