ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to get rid of damp smell in car

F82 M4
Just recently my car has developed a sort of damp smell inside, I have no idea why because I can't see any leaks or anything. What's the best way to get rid of the smell? It only started on Sunday and I haven't been or done anything different than before.

It's sort of like a rabbit hutch smell. f**king thing. :dapprove:

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Just have a shower. Or if it is definitely the car, as Mace said, red wine works wonders, something about the grape juice breaks down and kills odours.

Peddled device
You've not been parking near to a drain have you? This happened to me at work...it stank.Then I parked somewhere else...after 2 weeks :S

F82 M4
You've not been parking near to a drain have you? This happened to me at work...it stank.Then I parked somewhere else...after 2 weeks :S

No mate. Haven't been doing anything different at all. Does seam strange how it's only just come about. :dapprove:

Peddled device
Feel all of your carpets. Use the back of your hand and make sure the car is not warm inside when you do. There could be a leak from the heater matrix,if that's possible.

F82 M4
Feel all of your carpets. Use the back of your hand and make sure the car is not warm inside when you do. There could be a leak from the heater matrix,if that's possible.

OK mate will do, cheers for that. It's so annoying, quite embarrasing when you pick someone up! :eek:

Try and get some of those silica sachets like you get with shoes sometimes won't get rid of the smell but will absorb moisture.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
usually caused by air conditioning system. there is a 'smoke bomb' type thing that is set off then left to circulate round the system to clean it.

or just blow it up with a actual bomb.

usually caused by air conditioning system. there is a 'smoke bomb' type thing that is set off then left to circulate round the system to clean it.

or just blow it up with a actual bomb.

This. You can buy them in Halfrauds. A/c bombs that is.

Buy of a hijacking on that topic of the damp smell, what about damp my Windows steam up like mad. Either get an air-con service or try drying it out inside? Any ideas.

mini cooper R50
have a look under the rear seats, mines got a leak there got no idea where it comes from:(

a mate at the garage reckons it could be from the sunroof drains

soon to be 182 ;)
if its damp inside your car get some silica gel or the de humidifier things and leave it till its gone then a nice air freshener (california car scent cherry)

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Leave a small cup of bicarbonate of soda and water in the footwell.

Will neutralise the odours if you leave it there overnight.

clio 182 black /gold
Mine smelt slightly. I found my driver side mat wet underneath. It was due to the snow and ice. I dried it out and not its ok.

Honda & VW
Sure i have heard of something like newspaper with vinegar but can't recall the exact process, thing is if there is a smell of damp whats to stop it coming back if the 'damp' doesn't get dried out?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Sure i have heard of something like newspaper with vinegar but can't recall the exact process, thing is if there is a smell of damp whats to stop it coming back if the 'damp' doesn't get dried out?

Chances are its not even damp. It is more than likely the stinky un-serviced Aicon system. I've got a scenic at the moment thats exactly the same.

Jap Box
have a look under the rear seats, mines got a leak there got no idea where it comes from:(

a mate at the garage reckons it could be from the sunroof drains

I think i have damp in my car, the windows steam up really easy even when the Air-con is on.

Any ideas on how to stop it or prevent it?

I have both of these, was going to get a de-humidifier myself. I can also hear water jiggling about in the roof randomly too but it doesnt seem to leak anywhere obvious, could it be the sunroof drains?

I have both of these, was going to get a de-humidifier myself. I can also hear water jiggling about in the roof randomly too but it doesnt seem to leak anywhere obvious, could it be the sunroof drains?

I bought a water trap off ebay just waiting to see if works, also the 182 ain't got a sunroof. Although I have had with sunroof have all leaked.lol

I think my Aircon needs a service.

mini cooper s
Buy some washing powder!! The other day went to Asda, was on offer so the mrs bought about 5 boxes. Next morning I got in my car and its never smelt so good!