ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

***How to find A IP ADDRESS***

Monaco 172 2/468
Yes mate, which IP do you want to find ?

Your pc one ? Go to Start > Run, type CMD press enter... then type IPCONFIG and press enter :D

A4 Avant & A3
whos IP? yours?

If yours
Click on 'Start'
'run'
Type 'cmd' (no quotes) in the box and click enter

then type 'ipconfig/all'
your ip address will be there

RS 200
If you want to find the IP address from a name, for example the IP address of a website.

Start >> Run >> nslookup >> press enter >> put in domain name and hit enter

the IP address of the site will be shown. E.g, the IP for bbc.co.uk is 212.58.224.131 .

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
So you have "an IP address" and you want to know who owns it/lives there/who's PC it is?

Nike Lunar Elite's
at the command prompt type >

nbtstat -a <insert ipaddress here>

This gives a couple of extra bits of info that may help you find out more about the host PC

172 Cup
Well you can't to be polite yet blunt..

An IP address isn't like a phone number.

It would just resolve back to the ISP and they're hardly going to tell you who it belongs to. If they are an LLU customer you may find it shows their local exchange but that's as close as you're going to get.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
The ISP will be using a form of DHCP anyway so you don't always get the same IP unless you're paying for one which is $$$ and not many people do.

RB 182
Jay MK1 said:
Ok Den So No Way Of Finding Out
The only way of doing it is using the authorities to get the ISP to tell you who was using that IP address at a certain time as it will be used by various customers even over a short period of time.

172 Cup
Even the Police can't get that information from ISP's. Only the courts can order ISP's to divuldge that info.

RB 182
.Griff. said:
Even the Police can't get that information from ISP's. Only the courts can order ISP's to divuldge that info.
They can, working for them I know ;) It's only normally the more important cases though.

172 Cup
I work for an ISP/GSP I should know... You may well work for the Police but the fact remains only the courts can force ISP's to give out that info. If you don't beleive me go to Oftel and ask them.

RB 182
When we need IP information we don't apply to the court for the information to be obtained from the ISP though, we'll go through the TEU section direct to the ISP.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Benclelland, could you elaborate on this TEU section if you will, as my father was unsure to what you refer to, he like yourself, also works for the Police Force.

At present I am an Isp Network Engineer, currently working for Plusnet and like Griff, am feeling a bit ambiguous by your claim for two reasons. The first being the fact that in all my years have never known private information of any kind (customers) to be disclosed, court orders aside and lastly my father (his position I wont give out just yet) is unsure how you would go about getting the information we are talking about, even after speaking (after I made him) to a few of his colleagues.

I am genuinely interested, this post is in no way to put you down or be insolently provoking in anyway, so please don’t take it as that…

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
GavFire - I'm with Plusnet. Keep up the good work and wheres my 8mb broadband! ;) hehe :)

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
DarthCake said:
GavFire - I'm with Plusnet. Keep up the good work and wheres my 8mb broadband! ;) hehe :)

Within the month, check if your line speed hasn’t already had a slight increase, they are increasing speeds in increments for stability reasons. The majority of people wont be able to receive the full 8mb, average at the minute is half that (speed)

mines up to 3.5 mbit at the mo with plus net but it better go bloody higher !!!! also i get really crap p2p speeds with plusnet

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Over the last 10 months or so, Traffic Management has been phased in. priority traffic is given to time-sensitive applications to ensure no drop in quality (e-mail, web browsing VOIP etc) Downloading high definition video, using p2p etc (high bandwidth) is only unrestricted between the hours of midnight to 0800.

Most ISPs do this now, unless you are willing to pay a hefty premium.

Edit: I’m not saying you can’t get full speeds during the day, it just depends on the traffic at that time, but generally you will see slower speeds between 5 and midnight with heavy bandwidth apps..

gav only seeming to get say 30k a sec between midnight and 8 thank god for work and my leased line 2mb up and down

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
my take on the court/police debate:

The example i think benclelland is referring to is SPOC authority form his TSU department. A RIPA would also work.

However... to use these the person has to (this bit is hard to describe...) actually physically have the piece of information. It's all a bit odd to be honest...

For example i thought only a RIPA would suffice to get answerphone messages saved on someones phone... It would have been, but the answerphones fell off the system so i had to go to the network supplier to ask them to retain this infomation.

Having spoken to my TSU department, i now need a production order form a court (crown) for the network provider to supply me with the info.

I guess the reason the courts get involved is due to the intrusive nature of these enquires and the possibility of using it in the wrong way. You have to go and justify to the judge why you need that certian peice of infomation and why it is relevent.

Going as far as to say i want to know where this IP address comes from (ie address etc) i would guess would need a court ruling, as it could be quite intrusive.

RB 182
Yep you got it Seb, the TEU (Telephone Enquiry Unit) is our Single Point Of Contact (SPOC) for the ISP's. As you say RIPA authority, as I understand it, needs to be authorised at different levels depending on the level of intrusion.

I maybe wrong but from the involvement so far, this is the perspective that I see things as. All I know is it becomes very complicated because of the different authorities and such :)
I didn't mean to get things like they are but as we've got people on-board from both sides I might learn the process ;)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
yeah for sure, it is all rather complicated. All i know is i fill out a form and i get a list of telephone numbers. lol (in all seriousness i do know what i am doing.)

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
2638661-109358d1232828375-bump-bump.jpg
Again please stop.