ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to diagnose binding brakes?

Civic Type R
Morning.

I have a Clio 200 and I suspect I may have a problem with the front (passenger side) brake calliper. Last week I noticed in slow moving traffic that when moving off it made a metallic noise. At speed today I noticed a similar noise coming from the passenger side.

Braking seems fine still and I haven’t heard any screeching yet.

How would I pin point the problem to the brakes? Disc temperature, burning smell or something visible?

On my previous Type R I noticed nothing at all but after a service was told the front calliper was binding and had to be replaced at a ludicrous cost!

P.S. I am not mechanically minded...

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I'm stripping mine down at the weekend. It's easy enough. It's pretty common with these brembo calipers.

Be careful not to shag the pins when you remove them.

Lionel Richie
every single car we have in with these calipers has an issue, always the inner pad, pads have to be removed and the back plates ground down a touch

don't use bloody copper grease, not needed

Megane r26
These brembos really are terrible for this, my old 197 brakes were w**k until I stripped them and replaced the pads.

The in pads were stuck so as Fred said on the new ones I took a grinder to the backing just to increase the clearance slightly. Then onto the pins, 3 shot out and the 4th one was seized and I had to get the grinder out. I fitted a different style of pin then that was machined slightly smaller and used a R clip to secure them and these were a fraction of the cost of oe Renault items.