ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to check a front wheel bearing?

I've got a whining noise coming from (I think) the front left on my 182.
Has got quite loud over the last few weeks. ...seems louder under deceleration and maybe quieter when turning left....mostly all above say 50 mph.
Done some searching and thinking maybe the wheel bearing. ..question is how can I confirm?
Thanks in advance. ..

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Jack each corner, wiggle the wheel in and out at various point..

Around 12 and 6 for bearings and bottom ball joints.

9 and 3 o'clock for track rods.

Shazam

Can't feel movement in either wheel.
Only thing I noticed was the driveshafts have a bit of lateral movement but I assume that's normal for when you are cornering.
Booked it in to the garage tomorrow morning

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Same issue on mine. But I had no play in the bearing after I chanegd the track rod ends. But there was some serious grinding noise. After my recent venture into changing a wheel bearing I would reccomend getting a garage to do it!!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Was that parts and labour?
My N/S might need changing if it is still making a gash noise when I get the O/S back together and I don't really fanc doing it myself after the hassel I have had with it.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I normally take hubs off in pairs and run them down the local garage.. £25 later and I'm winning..

The rear discs come or can come with bearings in, so I often don't waste my time and just order up a set of them..