ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to change Sidelight bulbs

clio sport 172
Is there an easy way to change them? This is probably the most female question ever asked on here

PH1 iceburg
No easy way you need a hand like jeremy beadle. you have to remove the rubber housing from the rear of the light and try squezing you hand in between the air con pipes. It is a real bithc

PH2 Clio 172
I just put new sidelight bulbs in my 172 yesterday. They are pretty easy to do. Look in the front of the light and you can see the side light bulb in the same section as the main beam bulbs. On the back of the light unit pull off the round rubber cap, then you have to pull the sidelight bulb holder out (drivers side is a bit fiddly). Old bulbs pull out, new ones push in. Switch the lights on before you put it all together to test, pop the bulb holders back in and fit the rubber caps. Job jobbed!

clio sport 172
I just put new sidelight bulbs in my 172 yesterday. They are pretty easy to do. Look in the front of the light and you can see the side light bulb in the same section as the main beam bulbs. On the back of the light unit pull off the round rubber cap, then you have to pull the sidelight bulb holder out (drivers side is a bit fiddly). Old bulbs pull out, new ones push in. Switch the lights on before you put it all together to test, pop the bulb holders back in and fit the rubber caps. Job jobbed!

Cheers pal. I know how to do it but i can't seem to get my fingers in there. Do i need to twist and then pull or just pull? How gay does that sound!!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
i cannot get my passenger side, side light back into the locating hole on my 172. The bulb holder has little locating tabs on it, should these be top dead centre and bottom dead center prior to pushing into place and then quarter turn to lock? I spent about an hour last night trying to fix this in place with no success!

Looking for 182
I found changing all bulb (sidelight, main beam, and indicators) to be fairly easy. The only one I struggled with was one of the main beam bulbs because I was trying to reattach the unit the wrong way up.

I actually find it harder putting that damn round rubber cap back over the lighting unit than changing the bulbs themself.

i cannot get my passenger side, side light back into the locating hole on my 172. The bulb holder has little locating tabs on it, should these be top dead centre and bottom dead center prior to pushing into place and then quarter turn to lock? I spent about an hour last night trying to fix this in place with no success!

I don't remember having to turn the sidelight bits on my 182, not sure how different the 172 is, but I just push mine straight in.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Easiest thing in the world to do just a little fidlly, I'll make a guide on how to do it for others to use in the future.

The 501 Bulb is pretty easy, just a bit fiddly.
If your careful, you can just gently pull on the wires that go into the 501 bulb holder, rather than having to actually get your fingers round the plastic holder itself. the holder and bulb should then just pull out, then once out you can get to the the bulb easier.

It doesn't take 2 secs if your used to changing bulbs!

Last edited:
  Golf MK6 GT TDI
my fingers were sore for a few days after changing mine! I found it very fiddly.

Just take your time and you'll be fine.