ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How quick is a clio williams?

williams and trophy
he knows it was a s**tbox thats why he sold it ;)

but gettin back on topic.

how many 172s can do this??

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4sHSPoJKjt4

with just simple mods. ;)

How was mine a shi tter??, none of you's even seen it! It was Mint bodywork wise...Want me to produce the pics again!!??

Yes the box went...Woopy do, it had done over 60k!!!!!!!!!! IMO thats the longest any mk1 box has gone for! The Car had done 102k when i sold it.

Had an incident with it at cadwell where the caliper sheared off...Fair play, mayb we over tighened something and stressed the bolt. I'm no blaming the car for that! Was more upset that i'd got to about 50yrs from the track and couldn't get on

Jon....1st off! lol...Who gives a flyin fcuk about 1/4 miles! Honestly man give it up! Do you line up at the trafficlights and race everyone. That i doubt! I 100% agree that the willy gets off the line better and on a 1/4 it probably would win! Going by current and previous results it's evident the Mk1 is a better 1/4 car. But you honestly think from 50plus which is far more important to me the willy is going to keep up! NO BLOODY WAY! My willy ran 158bhp and Big iain's old 172 killed me about 90! And his was std.

Mine kept up with 3 other willy's i met up with, infact i was catchin two of them up to about 100! Mine only had a zorst and decat if we're bein fair and honest.

Don't get me wrong the willy is a cool wee car I don't have any real regrets...Other than it didn't live up to what i thought it would...If you want to die in an exciting/painful manner the willy is defo up there with the likes of base jumping and Swimmin wi sharks! :)

oooo we hit a nerve?? lmao.

iv got plenty more vids that show the willys superiority over the 172/182/197/v6s/meg 225s on track as well mate ;)

try www.streetfire.net and run a search for clio williams. theres a few vids of the rs days. and then heres the spa day vids from this years rs trackday there. ;)

long straights.caught and passed.

corners...again...a lot of them...caught and passed

btw. the gearbox in 0051 is the original gearbox outta 0159. did almost 70k in 0159.and has done about 50k in both 0051 and 0159 since...so id say its on around 120k......and thats with me driving. lol

also. 0-60 in mine was 5.63. 0-100 id say around 14.5.

and ....i think all this good engine/bad engine s**t is all bull. iv come to this conclusion, after having 4 diff engines in any 1 of my cars....and all of em being pretty quick, and all within 3-4 mph of each other on my speed test. altho. 1 did then go bang lol.

Last edited:
as above, I had 2 engines for my Williams, both quickuns, although the 24k one that I put in second time round was brutal quick.

Laura's Ph1 is much quicker than her phase 2, it was also quicker than our friends Cup (in every gear), yet it fell behind someway on rolling start bridge tests when I compare the times against my standard Williams... modified it's not even funny. I've owned and got/had access to pretty much all the Mk2 RS's and the Williams to me is the fastest. It weighs less, it makes as much power as a 172 if not more for a decent engine imo.

Ali - 1/4 days are oooh soo relevant, you said in an earlier post that the Willy does 0-60 in 7.4 (and felt it) and then went on to say the 172 leaves them after 50/60??? So tell me how Mk1's currently hold the quickest times mod for mod and are quicker over a 1/4 mile? Surely that means once rolling the F7R powered Mk1's are quicker? I'm thinking of 2 live's and Rob's 14.0's and that they were getting 2.2 60ft times, same as Mk2 owners get on good launches, then Martin's 13.8 which had less mods and equal strippage to TimO's 13.9 he ran.

I'd take a decent Williams over a Mk2 any day of the week... if I trusted them not to brake down. As a car I'd pick a Mk2, as a toy the Williams wins everytime.

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
My williams has full service but done 140k and it still seems pretty quick.It can be a pain in the ass some times with parts etc but i always like to have something a bit diffrent, my bike for instance i can take it to poole quay in the summer and know full well i will not see one the same as mine, and the same with my car it may not be brand new but i know i can take it out to the cinema and not be worried about seeing another one in the car park unlike the 17poo. Its a car that anyone who knows a bit about cars would always chose over a 172, no abs no traction control all things that spoil a true drivers car.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
as above, I had 2 engines for my Williams, both quickuns, although the 24k one that I put in second time round was brutal quick.

Laura's Ph1 is much quicker than her phase 2, it was also quicker than our friends Cup (in every gear), yet it fell behind someway on rolling start bridge tests when I compare the times against my standard Williams... modified it's not even funny. I've owned and got/had access to pretty much all the Mk2 RS's and the Williams to me is the fastest. It weighs less, it makes as much power as a 172 if not more for a decent engine imo.

Ali - 1/4 days are oooh soo relevant, you said in an earlier post that the Willy does 0-60 in 7.4 (and felt it) and then went on to say the 172 leaves them after 50/60??? So tell me how Mk1's currently hold the quickest times mod for mod and are quicker over a 1/4 mile? Surely that means once rolling the F7R powered Mk1's are quicker? I'm thinking of 2 live's and Rob's 14.0's and that they were getting 2.2 60ft times, same as Mk2 owners get on good launches, then Martin's 13.8 which had less mods and equal strippage to TimO's 13.9 he ran.

I'd take a decent Williams over a Mk2 any day of the week... if I trusted them not to brake down. As a car I'd pick a Mk2, as a toy the Williams wins everytime.

Mods, Stripped....blah blah blah...I really couldn't get a monkeys for 1/4 pisch! Terminal speeds are approx 90...give or take and i'm sure i said earlier in this post the mk2 will trounce it above that figure. I stand by that!

Jon (2live) You can drive, unfair test imo, the speed you carry onto the straights makes a huge difference and i'd be VERY impressed if you could beat a Vee in a straight line, bearin in mine Phils TB'd 172 wasn't pulling away!

Jon (Jesus) - In the future the 172 will become like the mk1 soon, a cheap affortable car and someone will strip out the car to the same level as the mk1's and with some mods i reckon it'll be quicker...(I'll buy you a pint if i'm wrong about this...)

I'd have the mk2 anyday of the over the Williams...But i'm not sayin i didn't enjoy the car and the rareity of it. Much like the vee it draws attention.

It's an endless debate this...People will choose what they love, Jon will most likely be buried in 0159/0051!!! ;)

Regardless of how quick they are given the choice of a new RS of any spec right now if they made them all new I'd have a Williams over even a V6.

To eb fair IMO there nothing much in it in all the RS's you get good and bad ones of all there all much the same straight line ok a Cups fater than a full fat by a bit but you get quick full fats and slow cups

its a never ending storey........................................................................................

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Regardless of how quick they are given the choice of a new RS of any spec right now if they made them all new I'd have a Williams over even a V6.

To eb fair IMO there nothing much in it in all the RS's you get good and bad ones of all there all much the same straight line ok a Cups fater than a full fat by a bit but you get quick full fats and slow cups

Even over the DCi?? lol

Mk2 V6, MK1 Track Sl#g
but my 182 has better wax on it then your v6 so nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ............................

don't think so me like, my V6 has lighter paint on than your 182 so its bound to be faster bcos its lighter!!!!!!

Mk2 V6, MK1 Track Sl#g
but but but my 182 bumpers are made of a lighter plastic and the tyres have less air to reduce weight!!!

yeah but but but but but cos my engine is in back seat i only have 2 wheels on floor when accelerating hard cos it wheelies so i have less friction with road!!!!!

williams and trophy
ah.....but then hes creating a hell of a lot more drag which makes it slower than ur 182 richy....which is trying hard to catch the williams doin one up the inside ;)

williams and trophy

Mods, Stripped....blah blah blah...I really couldn't get a monkeys for 1/4 pisch! Terminal speeds are approx 90...give or take and i'm sure i said earlier in this post the mk2 will trounce it above that figure. I stand by that!

Jon (2live) You can drive, unfair test imo, the speed you carry onto the straights makes a huge difference and i'd be VERY impressed if you could beat a Vee in a straight line, bearin in mine Phils TB'd 172 wasn't pulling away!

Jon (Jesus) - In the future the 172 will become like the mk1 soon, a cheap affortable car and someone will strip out the car to the same level as the mk1's and with some mods i reckon it'll be quicker...(I'll buy you a pint if i'm wrong about this...)

I'd have the mk2 anyday of the over the Williams...But i'm not sayin i didn't enjoy the car and the rareity of it. Much like the vee it draws attention.

It's an endless debate this...People will choose what they love, Jon will most likely be buried in 0159/0051!!! ;)

lol...iv said this b4, an il say it again....i consider myself an average driver, maybe a little braver than some ;).....the guys at spa , most of the foriegners knew the track mate, and il admit i got passed a few times on the corners. there was a yellow/green coloured vee, he chased me round for about 3 laps on the first session, he passed me on the corners. but couldnt get near down the straights. the meg, id say i was a good few seconds a lap quicker in than the willy, but the guy sat in the pass seat stopped me experiencing the full ability of the car lol......i nearly punched him when he tried to turn into the corner for me....DO NOT TAKE THE WHEEL OFF ME it shud go round here this late....the williams does. lol.

ask yourself a question tho mate. those that know, generally, and want a car to turn into a good, fun track car, what do they choose for pure driver involvement. ??

thats right........they go mk1 ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

lol...iv said this b4, an il say it again....i consider myself an average driver, maybe a little braver than some ;).....the guys at spa , most of the foriegners knew the track mate, and il admit i got passed a few times on the corners. there was a yellow/green coloured vee, he chased me round for about 3 laps on the first session, he passed me on the corners. but couldnt get near down the straights. the meg, id say i was a good few seconds a lap quicker in than the willy, but the guy sat in the pass seat stopped me experiencing the full ability of the car lol......i nearly punched him when he tried to turn into the corner for me....DO NOT TAKE THE WHEEL OFF ME it shud go round here this late....the williams does. lol.

ask yourself a question tho mate. those that know, generally, and want a car to turn into a good, fun track car, what do they choose for pure driver involvement. ??

thats right........they go mk1 ;)

I won't argue that. Although i'm off to see a CAT D cup later! :) Track car! :) 1780£ needs a front end tho.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
With respect to 0-60's it is irrelevant to compare.

The Williams is in 3rd not 2nd so of course its going to add a bit of time on. Even the quickest of gear changes is going to take 0.5 seconds.

This is why merley chipped williams can pull mid to high 6's, i dont think mk2 rs's do that?!

the Mk1's running 14 dead back in the day only needed rear seats out, the ones now getting same times and terminals that are stripped to hell imo fall under the "shitter" category. The decent ones stripped are getting better times than stripped out ITB'd Mk2's or similar, so not even a comparison to a breathed on MK2, that would be a waste of petrol.

Anyway, I'll have a pint of Carling once your found out wrong, I'll probably be driving, so best not risk a Stella

Even over the DCi?? lol
Good point I think your right I'd have the deci over the lot. I did say of all the RS cars though.

Clio Mk1 Hybrid
This thread reminds me of the time i played with a 182 cup in my hybrid, I saw him and it took me a bit to catch him up as he went across a roundabout and i had some ground to cover, but nonetheless reeling him in easier than i thought!!and with speeds approaching the far end of the speedo he suddenly dropped off after i had got infront of him.. thought he had got scared or something, but he was going too slow... he pulled in at a layby so i turned around to see if the fellow clio driver was ok, He had blew his car to bit's.. clutch exploded from what i gathered took out the box, engine block and radiator from what i could see.. Whoops not only did i beat a 182 cup it blew up trying!

Dave