ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How NOT to take a car off ramps

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
hana8y7u.jpg

epabudyt.jpg

Wood slipped from between the wheels and ramps and the car fell onto the bumper.
Just about ripped the whole bumper off! Needless to say, I think I'll be investing in a set of lower ramps...

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Those ramps are always a pain! I usually get a mate to hold the wood/ramp.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I have to take the bumper off both my ST and my Astra if I'm putting it on ramps like that.

Try and do most things with a jack and axle stands for that reason

Ditch the ramps and buy a jack and axle stands.

I've got axle stands too but I was trying to check for a knocking that only happened when there was a load on the front end so had to use the ramps.

Luckily I managed to jack the car up and pull the ramps away. Bumper just clipped back in place, gutted about the marks it's left on my brand new splitter though! Even if it was only 20 quid

I always jack mine up and slide the ramps under as Used to drive up scaffold planks onto them but hearing them creaking ready to snap didn't want it falling .

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
I feel your pain. Did that once, too fast in my old Mondeo and ripped the whole bumper completely off as it caught the grass on the way down. ; (

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Not good
I always found ramps a pain kept slipping when I was reversing up and could not get the front of the car on them because of the angle, so I made some extensions at work that bolt to the ramps so they do not slip and makes the angle nice and shallow now so no issue with clearance.

My dad made me these years ago but still couldn't get my old car up them without scaffold planks. We're nice and high tho.
newones017-1.jpg

Cup In bits
My dad made me these years ago but still couldn't get my old car up them without scaffold planks. We're nice and high tho.
newones017-1.jpg

Handy size, just as well considering you have to fix something every other time its out.

Last edited:
  172 CUP
Ah that's not good always dodgy to use those ramps,That cossie is gorgeous i love old school ford's