ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much to fit coilovers

Most people do it themselves and then get the geometry set up by the garage which costs a fair bit in itself. There are guides on here on how to change suspension but it depends it you are mechanically minded or not.

Thornton cleveleys near Blackpool. Not very promising when you ring the local mechanic up and he says, what are coilovers :-/

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its only involved if you do it properly and turret the rear and re-enforce the beam, as obvioulsy the original shock mounts werent designed to carry the load of the car either through the shell or at that point on the beam.
But no one normally bothers with doing that when doing a road going clio (different if its going to be jumping hump back bridges on a road rally of course!), so its a very straight forward bolt on and off affair, shouldnt take anyone competant more than a couple of hours from start to finish.

340i
Its only involved if you do it properly and turret the rear and re-enforce the beam, as obvioulsy the original shock mounts werent designed to carry the load of the car either through the shell or at that point on the beam.
But no one normally bothers with doing that when doing a road going clio (different if its going to be jumping hump back bridges on a road rally of course!)
, so its a very straight forward bolt on and off affair, shouldnt take anyone competant more than a couple of hours from start to finish.

LOL... totally unrelated post?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
LOL... totally unrelated post?

Well I dont know if its unrelated or not as I dont know the guy so dont know if he is building a rally car or a daily driver?
If its a rally car, then when fitting coilovers he should be doing it properly when he fits the coilovers and turreting the rear and reenforcing the beam, if its a road car im sure he'll be fine if he doesnt.

What do I have to do after I have had my coilovers fitted? The guy mentioned aligning or something. Is this necessary?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You will need at the bare minimum to have your tracking checked and adjusted if its out. The reason is that if you end up with incorrect tracking you will lose grip and will also increase tyre wear.

Depending on what you have bought, and if it has any adjustment for camber as well, you may also need to get that adjusted too.

The rear there isnt anything to adjust other than height and hardness (or not even that much depending on the kit) so no changes in terms of alignment needed there.

It's them ktec racing ones for £350 quid, nothing special. The place I'm taking it to tomorrow said I will need to take it somewhere else after for alignment lol, really wish I had some knowledge on cars

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Have a look on the protyre website and see if they have an outlet near you, as chains go they are leagues ahead of kwikfit etc and should be able to give you a proper printout of ALL the geometry values on the car like caster / toe / camber on the front and toe / camber on the rear.
They can also adjust your tracking.

Rusty Cup
Are you going to be there when they choose a height? i would say its a very personal thing how you want it to look. When i lowered my clio it wasnt as simple as install coilovers.. done :) i ended up over a long period of time raising/lowering, cutting out bits of the arch liner to stop rubbing, hacksawing off part of the bumper hanger to aid clearance, having the bump adjusted, adjusting the bound/rebound, trying different spring rates. I have to say i didnt get any alignment done after any work i did as it always drove fine and always wore the tyres evenly enough. I guess what im saying is if your paying someone to do it make sure your happy with what they've done (im sure you will be)

Spooky

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT
I can fit them. But I didn't bring my tools with me as I'm on my hols at my mother in laws in St Annes :)

Cheers, they have quoted me £150 to fit them, does this sound about right? That's not aligning and balancing them either.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds the right sort of ballpark to be in, as mentioned by a few people, its a couple of hours labour realistically, so a typical charge of 60 an hour + VAT for 2 hours = 144 quid

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There is nothing to balance mate, unless you mean the height? in which case that is something fairly easy to do yourself.

Worth setting the heights up before you get it aligned as it will throw it out slightly, although on a 172 it doesnt do so by as much as it does on some cars.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes, there should be spanners in the kit that you use to do so.

Just FYI you have only got a coilover front half though if its that ktec kit, the rear is still on a seperate spring, although they give you height adjusters for it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ps

That kit includes camber adjustment bolts too, in order to keep it even get the garage to set those on max to begin with, then you can always set them up properly once you have the geometry checked.
Odds are one side will be slightly different to the other so its worth setting them on max negative to begin with just to see how much each side can take, as that might limit what you end up running with.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cheers, if you was me would you go and get it aligned afterwards?

Yes but I wouldnt panic if it was a few weeks before I got the chance, they arent normally miles out like on some cars, even if you alter the camber the tracking only changes slightly on a clio due to the location of the steering arm, on something like a corsa for example it messes it up LOADS.

I fitted my coilovers myself, and did the camber by eye, and measured the height of the coilovers each corner to make sure they were correct.

Car was all over the place and horrible to drive before I got it aligned. Bear in mind whenever you adjust the height you'll probably need to get them realigned again.
So yes you will need alignment.

Have a look here: http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/ for places that use the Hunter laser alignment.

Nice one mate.
Yea I payed up. Trouble is once you do you can't keep out the for sale section looking for goodies ;)
But yea as you said the advice on here is second to none.

Goodluck with the coilies.
Just make sure with alignment you double check the people you ring know what they're doing. I rung one once and was told you could only adjust the toe on Clio's, I proceeded to then tell them it was on coilovers so needed camber setting up too... "oh" . So tried somewhere else lol.

How low you go for James? I got mine fitted today and I absolutely love the look :) 60mm front 45mm rear. Getting it tracked and camber set up on Saturday at that place u said, quality!

Good work mate! You'll love it once its all tracked and aligned. Will feel like a new car.
Just remember if you ever do want to adjust the height, good idea to get it all realigned again.
My sport currently isn't lowered. My old non sport was on Coilovers, don't know the heights as did it myself lol.

Get some pics up in the media thread of yours!