ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much paint does polishing remove?

Have just done some clearcoat tests. The average thickness of the clearcoatcoated paint was 330 microns - remember this included primer basecoat and clearcoat. This is exceptionally thick, my 'new car' is 130 microns. The bonnet could have been resprayed at some point but it was very uniform all readings within 10% of each other which is very hard to achieve by hand???

clearcoatthickness005.gif

Firstly the bonnet was taped off into bite size chunks with a good degree of separation between each square.

clearcoatthickness007.jpg

Here are the swirls on the bonnet

clearcoatthickness012.jpg

Next up the rotary was used first to remove swirls using a meguiars polishing pad and ssr2.5. The average thickness before was 345 microns. Two passes at 1500rpm removed most of the swirls but not the spider webbing. Another pass and still spider webbing left. This paint was hard, was a ford bonnet but reminded me of VAG paint.

I then used meguiars #84 on the wool pad and followed this up with another ssr2.5 to remove the swirling and then megs #80 on the pc to finish off to a pretty good finish.

clearcoatthickness008.jpg

The new reading to achieve a swirl free finish was 337 microns indicating an average of 8 microns had been removed to achieve a swirl free finish. This was well within the safety zone but seemed 'a lot' of paint to remove.

Next up on a different section I tried one pass of the rotary with ssr2.5 but dialed in approxinatly 2200 -2500rpm. The extra heat was enough to fully remove the swirls in one pass:doublesho at only a loss of 3 microns of paint.

On a different section I tried meguairs #80 at two passes with a white 4 inch polishing pad. No meaningful paint removal could be detected using the meter - indeed it appeard to go up by 0.5 micron lol - beyond its level of accuracy at such 'high' thickness readings. From the pic you can still see swirls but a good mprovement.

clearcoatthickness011.jpg

Next up was 3 passes of ssr2.5 with a 4 inch cuting pad on the pc

Here the paint thickness dropped by 2 microns and a good but still not perfect finish was left.

clearcoatthickness016.jpg

clearcoatthickness015.jpg

^^Top half polished lower half not.

Conclusion - swirl removal could be safely undertaken by removing 3-4 microns well within the safety zone of such a thick paint to start with. Mopping the paint and finishing up with lower grades also produced an excellent finish but at the cost of more microns of paint - not important on this test piece but maybe so on your pride and joy?

I also polished the edge for a minute using ssr2.5 and a megs pad and whilst I couldn't do any readings it didn't show any visible sgns of burning through.

106 GTi
He knows a bloody good curry house there too ^^^^ Get him to treat you while your down!

172 mk2
do u get swirls like these on silver cars? would the result be as noticable on a silver one?

never maters what i wash my car with it always looks the same at the end. lol