ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much for new clutch fitted on 16v

My clutch has went in my 16v clio, 1996 ph2 and ive been quoted some stupid prices i just wanted to know what is the average price i should pay.

Renault garage quoted nearly £1000 :eek:

Most places quoting 600-800, ive got a quote for 500 which is cheapest so far.

How much do they usually cost?

Just a thought but how much would it be to buy a williams engine gearbox etc and get that fitted?

Cheers

i got one for a phase 1 fitted by Mr Clutch and it cost me £439.99 all fitted with a new cable as well. just to give you a rough idea

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

I got a uprated clutch from K-Tec for around 130 quid then had it fitted at a local garage for 240 pounds. Others I have seen have had a clutch fitted for less than 200 pounds, this is on a Williams so I cant see yours costing 600-800 quid!:eek:

they are all saying its the labour that puts the price up so much

i was hoping to pay around 350 so if i can get it done for that it would be great. does any1 know of anywhere in the NW where i can get it done for less than 500?

My mate says i mite aswell get the timing belt changed while im at it? is this worthwhile and will it cost me much more?

172 Cup

bb tuning do it for around £450 and you get a discount with them and at least you know they know what they are doing!!

Paul

Renault Clio 1.8 RSi

pardon me for hijacking the thread, but would this price be about the same for a 1993 1.4RT?? or is there something special about the 16v that makes it so pricey?!

your car will be cheaper, a 16v is regarded as a b**ch to work on

most ppl want to drop the engine on the 16v, which is why it is so expensive,

i too were getting silly quotes, however i got it done for 295.00 all in, in the end from Torsion Tuning (they are in essex) they really know their stuff, i got him to service it as well while it was there.

beware tho, as some places said theyd do it, but they had never done a 16v before, needless to say- i turned them down.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Most garages quote nearly 12 hours for this job. Threads before have more detail but basically:

Job depends on how it is done, either engine out (longest) or subframe removed or something from underneath to gain access. Got mine done for 200 quid labour and OE clutch was about 50 quid from GSF. Cable was changed too and that was quite difficult apparently.

You can pay nearer 400 or more for Hillpower etc to take out eng, check everything and clean so that is worth it for what they do and piece of mind that other bits are checked.

If you are getting engine out good time to do cambelt, water pump etc as the labour wouldnt be much more.

Worth getting cable changed at same time as clutch.

Lionel Richie

My mate neil can do it (ex clio cup race mechanic) he now has his own garage

hes in the birmingham area and i guess hed charge about £150ish

he does all the mechanical work on my car

i thought paul mitchel can do it for £350 all in ?? book on valvers is 10.5 hours.......its not a nice job, just done mine for £75...........but then i done it !!

£150 (if that includes the price of the clutch) is a bargain !! id tow it a few miles from your home & get the AA/RAC to take you to birmingham for a clutch job that cheap !!!

dont bother with MrClutch.........ive seen their work !!! good job they do it behind closed doors !!

where bouts in the birmingham area can i get it done for £150? and does that include the price of the clutch?

10.5 hours book time to fit a new clutch to a 16valve, but that time goes up to 12 hours if its fitted with abs or power steering!

I work in a garage, and have just bought a valver myself and have just had the clutch done on it, so we found, the best way was, to drop the subframe down, its still a b**ch of a job though, but by dropping just the subframe as opposed to the whole engine, youll knock a bit off the labour, I think mine ended up being done in about 8ish hours. Not sure what the final cost came out to be yet though!

Make sure its done properly though, when I bought my car it came with a reciept for the last time that the clutch was "replaced", but looking this time, it had clearly never been done! All theyd done was change the cable!!
The receipt said that the person whod had this work done was charged (or ripped off??) £748.09!!!!

Good luck!

Martin

Lionel Richie

no not inc clutch (im assuming hell charge roughly £150, he knows valvers inside out!!Ill ring him tomorrow and ask for defo)

hes cheap, but very good!!!!

hes located off junc 5 m42

Ill get you a 100% defo quote

he can change the clutch without removing the engine if i remeber right, think he just drops the subframe

Dropping the subframe is removing the engine.

If you dont want to take the engine out then you can do it by undoing the nearside hub and squeezing the box into the recess, gives you about 5" to work in. Easier for me as i got teeny hands and i dont lie unplugging everything and having to drain the coolant.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

some people remove the subframe and drop the gearbox alone out from the bottem.some people remove the engine and gearbox.if im just doing a clutch i unbolt the gearbox from the engine and just pull it into the recess in the n/s/f inner wing.there is just enough room to change the clutch.