ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how much for mapping and where ??

ive had a quoate from hillpower that was good but his very far away, had a quoate from gdi that was double that of hillpower's, and chipwizards guy is always busy and also very far... is there anywhere else? somewhere closer ? do k-tec and bb do mapping?

Lionel Richie
BB do mapping yes

K-tec seem to do an "off the shelf" map

we do mapping too (based in south birmingham)

Clio 172 mk2
Loads of threads on this worth reading....just do a search on ecu and you'll find some good feedback/amswers:D

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
Mapping gets best of mods you have but due to cost should usually be the last thing you do. As if you go a step further you will have to pay nearly the same again to remap to your cars new spec. Like a remp before and after cams.

Wayne at chipwizard currently has a 2 week waiting list.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
this is often why if your going for multi stage mods the piggy back type ecus are good... as it costs more initially to install and buy it, but after that we charge £150 for a remap so its less expensive each time you change something...

williams and trophy
last time monkey had his remapped at waynes (chip wizards) the cost was summat like £20....

but it isnt long since itd been done the first time.

they dont need to be piggy back ecus to be able to change the map....or standalone for that matter.

just takes someone who knows wot they doin with the ecu/chip to sort it out again...

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
^ Wayne has very impressive reviews and seems to be God amongst the WC lot, like to see a 172 gain gains like that.

Pmurray has seen some unreal gains too!

1.8 Civic EX
k tec and GDI are both about 2.5 hours drive from us mate just in opposite directions. not sure about bb and hill power tho...

300bhp MR2 Turbo
If you want the best you'd go for proper ECU upgrades. Piggy backs like the Unichip or Andy's SMT's are good.
Standalone for the best and widest range of tuning.

Plug and play chips aren't all that hence why you hardly see any one with them any more.
I'm sure Andy will tell you the difference in results and the old saying - you get what you pay for.

Andy has given me a better quoate this time, and ill think ill be going there with my car, as soon as he can get it in.

i think the origanol price i got emailed must have been a typo, an 8 where a 3 should of been, maybe i asked for something else by accident.

nope, i have no need for smt, my engine will have everymod onit i want, and tbh theres nothing else i could do to the engine without spending alot of money on throttle bodies or turbo e.t.c

williams and trophy
can the smt6s be mapped to a higher rev limit now??

the plug and play chips are s**t. the best chip is one thats mapped to suit ur car. whether it be standalone, or a re-mapped chip refitted to oe ecu.

dependant on the mods the standalone is an expensive, unnecassary piece of kit. as are the piggy backs.extra waterproofing is needed and imo they do look a bit untidy.

the standalone, as i said earlier, are the best dependant on mods, some ppl can re-chip the oe ecu to give gains better than the piggy backs, and also as good as the standalones to a certain point, again dependant on mods.

throttle bodies/turbo on the mk 1s are the only things that need anything other than a re chipped ecu.

chip wizards is not only a genius on mk 1 clios either.ask the porsche/vw/lotus/honda/bentley/merc/maseratti etc drivers whov had work done by him......lol

and as has been said previously on this thread, u get what u pay for in most cases, some ppl overcharge for work thats inferior imo.

VaVa
If plug and play chips are so bad, why do the fastest non T/B cars on here run Rsport or GrpN ECU's?

Neil and Chris have Rsport's and run 14.1's.....

A piggy back ECU will obviously be better, but it's more expensive and is ultimately only as good as the person who is mapping it.

williams and trophy
in answer to your question....how many are actually running chips mapped to suit ? especially by someone who knows what they are doing??

errrr none i dont think.....wen they do wel see how they compare.

kill power chips, superchips etc used to be the ones to use for off the shelf, and they had good results, better than std, but other cars with diff chips have now surpassed em. chips that have been mapped to suit. even with less mods

piggy backs are pretty s**t too imo....they kinda of a 1/2 assed attempt at ecu work.

not quite a full re-map , not quite a standalone system.

i have faith in the std ecu mod to be as good if not better than a piggy back mod.

Polo GTi
err mine cost 15 quid last time 2live I ain't made of money :)

Chris n Nics car will fly when they get it mapped by Wayne, I bet my ass on that, the R-sport is good, but wayne's will be better, it has to be, the map will suit the car.

Can't see how a piggy back one could be better than a map on your standard ECU, well unless your running something completly diff from standard like bodies or turdbo

williams and trophy
dunno where ppl get the impression chris n nics is quick tho

well i spose it is for a cup. hehe ;)

2005 Nissan Navara
lol

midge...go to Chipwizards mate, he's taking bookings for the next couple of weeks apparently...

its the best solution to what you need, i'll even come with you after ive fitted the engine, and we can meet up with 2live!!

300bhp MR2 Turbo
A chip cant control things like ignition timing or give you more fuel where you need it in the rev range at specific critical points. Finely mapping a car to get the best results is a car to car basis. You HAVE to have the car on the road or the rollers plugged into a computer to see exactly whats happening, every engine is different and will require a personal map.

Plug in chips are an absolute waste of money IMO, something for people who wanna tune on a tiny budget that really shouldnt bother.

I wouldn't say an rSport ecu is a chip - is it not a replacement for the standard ecu?

A unichip will cost about £470 fitted and mapped if you go to the right place and will be 100% better than any crappy chip you solder on to the standard ecu. That prob kill the car in the long run any way.

VaVa
Yeah, Rsport/GrpN are replacement ECU's.... used them as an example as they are not 'individually mapped' to the car either, yet still produce good results.

300bhp MR2 Turbo
lagerlout1 said:
Yeah, Rsport/GrpN are replacement ECU's.... used them as an example as they are not 'individually mapped' to the car either, yet still produce good results.

At least it's an actual ECU though and not something that plugs into the ecu and tampers with it (crudely and badly)

111s
I seem to remember getting an e mail off GDI a couple of weeks back saying they we're getting the equipment/software to re map the standard ECU. Anymore info?

yer they are.. just make sure you ask andy off here for a price as i emailed them and got a reply with price just below £800

300bhp MR2 Turbo
Also an Rsport or group N ecu is car specific so at least it's built specifically for a certain make and model.