ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much engine knock is acceptable?

2000 X PH1 172
Bought my Clio last week and even when viewing it heard a small knock when it was warmed up.

My mates who have had Clio's sounded similar so it didn't bother me.

Best way to describe it is, you rev the car slowly to about 2,500rpm, let the revs fall down and there is a slight tapping. If you rev it any higher the sound goes away.

It doesn't happen when cold, engine sounds healthy and pulls well.

It doesn't bother me too much just wondering if it can get serious.

Going by my experience as Ive had both problems, start the car, if the engine sounds good take it for a spin. Whilst accelerating up in say 2nd or even 3rd HARD if there is a knocking it COULD be the engine mounts however Ive been led to believe it could be a lot of other things too. Park the car up and leave it running now, does it sound like a diesel? If it does its more than likely the dephaser. Im not a mechanic but Ive had both problems and got them sorted.

2000 X PH1 172
By engine knock i thought you meant something else, prob the dephaser pulley.

Sounds like a dephaser. Very common problem. Has it had a cambelt change?

IT will be dephaser or a slightly worn tappet.

Thanks very much put me at ease.
Saw me mate John tonight who knows Clio's very well and he said it's just that too.

Cambelt got done about 4,000miles ago.

Thanks.
The more I listen to it, it doesn't sound bottom end at all.