ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much do you spend on each oil change?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Im going to get the 182 serviced and want some decent oil, oilman is great help and ther is a load of threads but....
Im wondering how much you lot spend on oil each time?
What do you use/ have found the best?
Im thinking of getting the fuch/silkolene pro s as its meant to be the good stuff

DMS

A thirsty 172
I use Motul 300v - around £25 to £30 for a 2 litre tub (and you need 3 of them), or wait until it's on offer somewhere to save a bit of money. I can't explain why, but the engine doesn't "feel" right on anything else now. Then about another fiver for a filter and about £1 tops for the sump washer (don't NEED it, but for the sake of a few pence it's worth doing).
I change the oil about once every 6k. It sounds expensive, but I really don't do that much mileage these days. I'd say around 60 miles a week on average travelling to and from work, then the odd trip out here and there. I've done about 9k since last October.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Ive just had my mot and done 9k since last time, was last serviced a year ago aswell and im sure s**t oil was used, i should of got my own then aswell
That is quite expensive, the silkolene is about 50 but thats 5 litres and it is 5l it takes isnt it?
Have you changed ur gearbox oil? If so what do u use and how much?

DMS

A thirsty 172
I've never changed the gearbox oil myself. It has been changed a couple of times in the last 3 years though - once when the engine was swapped out and once when the current engine was rebuilt.

ITB'd MK1
I'll always ask on the useage requirement before using a specific oil. If you're not heavily tuned, and not doing constant track days, I believe any ACEA A3/B3 5w/40 fully synthetic oil is fine. I use oil from renault for "normal" services. the engine takes 5.1 litres

gearbox takes 3.1 litres of 75w90 GL4

I'll always ask on the useage requirement before using a specific oil. If you're not heavily tuned, and not doing constant track days, I believe any ACEA A3/B3 5w/40 fully synthetic oil is fine. I use oil from renault for "normal" services. the engine takes 5.1 litres

gearbox takes 3.1 litres of 75w90 GL4

Is that the same for all gearboxes, or just sports?

ITB'd MK1
technically Danny the "correct" grade is 75W80, but its mega cash, so everyone uses 75W90 as its cheaper ;)

err i think you've got that the wrong way round. 75w80 is everywhere and cheap, 75w90 costs more, approximately double actually. 90 is also what Agency Transmissions say to use

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
No trackdays and tbh i dont drive it hard either, so just normal use throughout the year about 9k
What oil would you sugest? Surely the best stuff wouldnt do it any damage would it?