ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How Many Ph1 172s Are Left?

Ph1 172; MX5
We know that around 1359 were sold before the facelift.

Obviously a fair few have met the crusher by now. Anyone care to guess how many are still running around the UK - or has anybody got access to the DVLA database and knows for sure?

Tav

Clio 197
There is one in our local scrap yard. I was gutted to find it had been completely pilfered :(

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
1. T_2_the_C - Flamer - 52k
2.Bazzon/Barron - Racing blue ITB - 90K

120d M-Sport
There are a few on here with a PH1 or people who have changed to a PH1, would love to know the exact amount left! Doubt we shall ever know tho! :dapprove:

Ph1 172; MX5
If I took my own cross-section here in Ireland I know of seven Ph1 172s. Three are UK imports, one came from the north and was written off, three are Irish cars. Whether or not those were part of the 1359 RHD UK ones initially I don't know but I suspect so.

Even with the amount that were turned into dedicated track toys I'd say we're definitely down to 2/3rds of the initial numbers, but the buyers guides also mention a lot of European imports when these were new, so perhaps that inflates figures.

Guess we'll never know for sure, as someone said.

53 Clio's & counting
Meh, il stick me name down

3.Russ_16v Black - 131k

Ph1
Dont forget the figure of 1359 is only the number of cars sold through Renault dealerships. In reality the number sold in the UK will probably be near the 5k mark (total guess) as majority were sold via car supermarkets due to the huge savings.

DVLA won't tell you direct. I think its done via another website linked with the DVLA but you have to be in the trade. Been in a couple of mags regarding rare cars.

Dont forget also theres going to be a few on SORN and a fair amount of track cars so any figure can only be a very rough guide at best.

Octavia vRS tfsi
3.Russ_16v Black - 131k
4. Ianeire - Iceberg - 103k
5. Irish import
6. Irish import
7. Irish import
8. Irish import
9. Irish import
10. Irish import

Plus I know of 6 other ph1's that were imported to Ireland and are still active. All either iceberg or titanium.

PH1 172
3.Russ_16v Black - 131k
5. Irish import
6. Irish import
7. Irish import
8. Irish import
9. Irish import
10. Irish import
11. Terry172 - Titanium - 73k

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
lol so pointless doing a list really!!

s**t loads I would have thought, most owned by people that dont give a s**t about them im sure.

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
Just be interesting to see who has one of here, colour and milage. Were obviously not gonna find out how many r left but its a bit of craic fs.

Birchdown

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup / 172 Exclusive
3.Russ_16v Black - 131k
5. Irish import
6. Irish import
7. Irish import
8. Irish import
9. Irish import
10. Irish import
12. Andy@birchdown Exclusive 100k

Clio 172
3.Russ_16v Black - 131k
5. Irish import
6. Irish import
7. Irish import
8. Irish import
9. Irish import
10. Irish import
13. gogsie - Silver 116k

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
3.Russ_16v Black - 131k
5. Irish import
6. Irish import
7. Irish import
8. Irish import
9. Irish import
10. Irish import
13. gogsie - Silver 116k
14. Chris205 - iceburg 90k

120d M-Sport
3.Russ_16v Black - 131k
5. Irish import
6. Irish import
7. Irish import
8. Irish import
9. Irish import
10. Irish import
13. gogsie - Silver 116k
14. Chris205 - iceburg 90k
15. Ridahz - Titanium - 115k

Clio 172 & Fabia vRS
there was a silver one in the local scrappy, i went down to salvage a seat from it but it had been completley stripped by then :(

Ph1 172; MX5
I spent three months trying to track down a good one both in the UK and Ireland and eventually struck gold on Pistonheads.

Mine was originally W673 TBK. It was sold by now defunct Liningtons in Portsmouth and I'm pretty sure it had a lady owner who had the car from late 2000 to early 2006 and managed around 48k as the car had four service stamps and invoices. It then somehow made it to the Clio Centre in Winsford where the gentleman I bought it off got it in P/X for a bronze 106 GTi (co-incidentally, I sold one to buy the 172). He was from Manchester and had started a new job in Bristol so put some motorway mileage on the car before deciding to sell it as he got a company car through work.

What sold me on it was that he was exceptionally friendly and helpful over the phone, full of information and also involved in motorsport. Knowing that he'd at least have some element of mechanical knowledge and fingers crossed, sympathy I had the car RAC inspected which it passed with flying colours apart from glazed rear discs and a rotten pattern exhaust. It has never been crashed, never painted and apart from a tiny shopping trolley ding and a slight scuff on the front bumper is immaculate, some very minor woman driver kerbing on two wheels aside.

I wanted a completely standard, low-mileage car approaching the belt change interval and was also prepared to drop another £2k into it to get the thing as fresh as possible so took it to KTEC for belts, tyres, servicing, the Stealth exhaust, discs and pads all round and a few odds and sods and had another big thumbs up on the car from the lads there.

I then brought it back to Ireland via the Nurburgring, as you would.

It's currently on 79k and at the time of writing is in for major servicing with my NSX-owning mechanic including engine mounts, plugs and a few other bits like the ITG filter and everything else outstanding from the 72k interval.

It took a while for us to become friends but I don't think I'd sell it in a hurry, the car feels factory fresh, is nicely anonymous and embarrasses 90% of things on the road. What sold it to me was the EVO buyers guide where an owner from Norfolk talked about winding roads and limited overtaking opportunities which sounded exactly like the west of Ireland.

The few things I would consider replacing it with would be a Trophy, an R26 Megane or something with a nice FR layout like an M3, but the downside there is that 3.0L road tax here is almost €2000 a year which is downright crippling.

Ph1
there was a silver one in the local scrappy, i went down to salvage a seat from it but it had been completley stripped by then :(

There was one in my local scrappy a couple of years back. Was about the first to take parts off it all bit only a couple of interior trims then before i had the chance to go back and raid it kids torched a car which took half the yard including the 172 :mad: - had a unused OZ F1 in the boot too. Never had a ph1 in since, gutted :(

Fiesta ST Stage 3
3.Russ_16v Black - 131k
5. Irish import
6. Irish import
7. Irish import
8. Irish import
9. Irish import
10. Irish import