ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How many miles can I get when the Petrol light is on?

Clio 172 Mk2
Hi chaps,

I have a Clio 172 (standard) how many miles can I get out of it when the petrol light is on?

It came on this morning when driving and I didnt even go above 2000RPM. I havent ran out of petrol before when driving but I can imagine it will be embarrsing as hell

The petrol light should come on when you have 1 gallon left, so check your "average mpg" on your trip and you'll have a better idea... but best fill up as soon as you can to avoid any crap in the bottom of the tank blocking injectors or anything

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
its a one gallon warning, so what ever your MPG is. I average about 35 mpg, so have 35 miles left in tank.

This is pretty accurate I ran out of petrol in my old clio on the way to the petrol station I was averaging 38 mpg and got 38 miles before it ran out!

Fortunatley I had a spare can of fuel in the back and the car was brand new (no s**t in the tank) but I was deliberately running it out of fuel to find out how far it would go.

Scirocco GT 210
ShaunR16v said:
The petrol light should come on when you have 1 gallon left, so check your "average mpg" on your trip and you'll have a better idea... but best fill up as soon as you can to avoid any crap in the bottom of the tank blocking injectors or anything

Surely that can't happen in modern cars? Fuel filters etc.

As has been said, when the light comes on you have one gallon of fuel left. So how far you get completely depends on how you drive

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
^^ you probably wont clog the injectors etc but the crud will block lines and filters which will still amount to a fuel blockage. also remember the injectors have a very small appature something the size of a grain of sand can block it

Red Clio 197 F1
For some strange reason when I used normal unleaded I used to get to 45 miles left and the light comes on.

But now it is between 35-40 miles

35ish in a Williams.. and it does stop.
Goes for about 1 mile juddering.. I know that too.

Er.. I mean, I've seen it happen to.. er.. someone.. er.. yea.. erm.. before..
;)

Golf R/Leon FR
lol^^
the most ive had with the petrol light on is 50miles but thats cos i didnt have any money to fill it up!!! lol

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Steve2004 said:
Surely that can't happen in modern cars? Fuel filters etc.
No it carnt, Clios feed petrol from the bottom of the tank anyway, this is just a myth that your dad or other has passed on from his days, cars 20 years or so never fead from the bottom and did get cloged up if they were old and the petrol ran too low..

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
i was driving down from aviemore to st andrews and the light came on inthe middle of some tasty b roads and i got 33 out of it with the light on and then filled up in st andrews - over 45 litres so it must have been tight!

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
mine went 40 miles left in the tank according to the little computer :)

did not mean to post twice :( thats probly cause i am uploading an click many times i guess)

:(

Blooming heck. I get 23mpg out of my car. The light comes on and I panic....Rob the burds purse and off to the local Optimax purveyor sharpish