ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How low can you safley go?

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Replacing car springs is usually alot of fun, but how low can you go before its time to get coilovers?

Ive heard stories about rear springs popping out and flying off because they are so compressed, any opinions?

audi a6 3.0tdi
normally they say 35/40mm before you need to change dampers to uprated lowered dampers

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I'd only go -40mm on Springs aswell, Dampers will be ruined if you go lower than that and drive a fair few miles

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
When I got my car it was on some minging g-max 40mm springs and they had killed the rear dampeners.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
60mm! im on dampers and its fine.

bring on the haters

Of course it works but it doesnt mean its fine, they wont last that long until they start leaking like mine did. Plus that low on standard dampeners it will handles like a pile!

golf
lol the car would have died by then and iv never actually heard of anyones dampers that have gave in from a 60mm drop?

edit, just read above.

getting coilovers soon anyway and it handles ok too no body role but abit bumpy

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Mine gave in from a 40mm drop.... leaking all over the place. They still worked just really REALLY badly, the car wasnt safe to drive.

Ph 1 172
60mm ive gone handles better than standard springs but if i had the dmapners/shocks to go with it should think it would be much better.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
End of the day, you can run whatever on standard dampeners, they will just die much quicker the lower you go as they arnt made to work like that. When they do die they will leak and distroy your handling completely.

LY 182
i've done 9k (40kmiles in total) miles on my -40mm eibachs and both my front shocks are absolutely obliterated.

Dervvv
Friend of mine has her clio lowered 60mm and when it went for MOT the springs just lifted out becuz the weight of the car was lifted of the springs, i say 40mm wod be the best for any car lol unless u go for the whole kit like coli overs lol!!

K20 EG Hatch
I've drove on all sorts of setups and i wouldn't even waste the money on just springs, a mate had her clio lowered 60mm on just springs and three weeks later I was fitting her new shocks all round due too them all leaking!!

And they handle so so badly on 60mm springs lol...