ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How long roughly do rear brakes last?

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Had the car since October 2012 and it has covered ~20k miles since then. The rear discs and pads haven't been changed in this time. They were a bit grindy today when I set off to work after being stood for 2 days, as expected, but then by the time I did 4 miles they didnt make a noise. Is it worth changing them?

Oh and also fronts, they are Brembo HC discs and some Brembo pads, not sure what ones; how long do they normally last? They were put on since owning the car, one of the first things to be done. Pads look like the have plenty of life left despite the amount of dust that comes off them and makes my orange wheels black within a few days of them being cleaned :rage:

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
If it's been stood for 2 days the noise will be the surface rust being removed.

Nothing to worry about.
Yeah I knew this, the calipers match my wheels if its been stood still over a wet weekend! But I am sure it is getting louder and takes longer for it to wear off.

Don't think they are binding, wheels are cold to touch after a long drive, fronts can get a little warm if driving around town with a lot of stop / start traffic.

182 BG
I've just changed the rear discs + pads on mine... My car came with every recipient under the sun, no mention of rear pads/discs...
Discs literally broke with a gentle tap of the hammer to remove them from the spindle, pads down to the metal... Not bad for 138K! Might have been done at some point I guess, but from what I've seen around, the rear bearings usually go before discs!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
They'll fall apart before they need renewed. They don't actually do anything on the Clio from memory.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
You ought to see the state of mine. Usually cleaned up nicely by the end of a track day. They do naff all on the Cup but do get involved on cars with ABS and EBD.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
They'll fall apart before they need renewed. They don't actually do anything on the Clio from memory.
Just had a look at them and the edge of them does look quite coroded and not like the front, so I think this is the case and will fall apart before they need replacing! I think I read somewhere that it was 95% to the front, not sure how true that is.

Next time I am working on the rear I may change them.