ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How has this happened (RE Rear Brakes)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Brakes snapped in half (under a year old and my Pads only have 1mm left - which were also only a year old.)

3ae7c2c8.gif

Here is what the brakes look like behind:

6a700793.gif

Here is how i fitted the spacer ring behind the disc

3e37e64c.gif

Does anything look obviously wrong? I can't work out why its so fucked?

Sticking callipers? How do I fix this as i don't want to fork out another £150 quid for discs and pads for it to happen again :(

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Sticking caliper making the disc get so hot it cracks is a common fault.

ITB'd MK1
need to make sure the claiper is moving and operating correctly. the caliper sliders on the rear are one big failing which is fixable, and the other issue which will mean caliper replacement is a faulty ratcheting mechanism on the handbrake (inside the caliper)

also, I'd be concerned that the hub nut hadn't been torqued correctly

ValverInBits
You caught that just in time! What brand are the discs? With the pads wearing down that fast, it has surely has to be a caliper issue. Is your MPG suffering?

Golf GTD Mk7
Fook :eek: good job you noticed that mate. Could have caused more issues. Surely if the pads were catching that bad you'd have heard it?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Cracking like that is more than likely, as said above, heat related failure.

Been driving about with your handbrake left on ? :rasp:

For peace of mind, a fresh pair of calipers on there IMO. (Not necessarily new/refurb'd ones) Get them both off, strip them down, make sure everything is kosher, and keep an eye on it once it's all back together.

Do Renault/ motor factors do an exchange on calipers ?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
need to make sure the claiper is moving and operating correctly. the caliper sliders on the rear are one big failing which is fixable, and the other issue which will mean caliper replacement is a faulty ratcheting mechanism on the handbrake (inside the caliper)

also, I'd be concerned that the hub nut hadn't been torqued correctly

When I wound the piston back in the calipers slid backwards and forwards very easily. One thing I did notice though was that the Drivers side piston was no where near as easy to wind in as the passengers side piston. I could probs have done the passenger side with my hands, drivers one was a bit more stiff.

Another thing I did notice is the dust cover over the rear piston is leaking slightly, but that was on the other side (passenger) not drivers. I've put copper slip on all the non contact breaking parts.

What do you mean RE your last point? I fitted them myself but when I took it to birchdown I asked if they would check the spacer ring etc was fitted properly because I wasn't sure if i put it back the right way. They torqued them all up properly (its 75nm isn't it? cant' remember off the top of my head.

You caught that just in time! What brand are the discs? With the pads wearing down that fast, it has surely has to be a caliper issue. Is your MPG suffering?

They were genuine Renault discs mate. I only ever buy oem or oem+. MPG i didn't notice anything drastic. I got 42mpg London > Sheffield on Friday night :(

Fook :eek: good job you noticed that mate. Could have caused more issues. Surely if the pads were catching that bad you'd have heard it?

I didn't hear a thing if they were catching. The only thing that made me check the brakes were them splitting in two, as when I was breaking I could hear a knocking noise. I saw it straight away when I whipped the wheel off. Bit gutted tbh as I needed to be at work tomorrow down south, so i'm going to have to rush around in the morning to get this fixed.

I have prepped the sub axel etc and wound the pistons back, just going to put the brake pads together onto that metal slider thing now tonight. Hopefully when I get the disc I can quickly just bolt it all together.

Quick questions while you're here jonny - When I fitted these discs previously, I was torquing the big bolt in the middle up, and I heard quiet a loud click. Is this normal (someone said it will just be the bearings pressing into place?)

Also when I torqued them up, the wheel wouldn't spin at all so I had to loosen it off abit.

I'm trying to understand what i did wrong last time so i don't f**k it up again this time around.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Cracking like that is more than likely, as said above, heat related failure.

Been driving about with your handbrake left on ? :rasp:

For peace of mind, a fresh pair of calipers on there IMO. (Not necessarily new/refurb'd ones) Get them both off, strip them down, make sure everything is kosher, and keep an eye on it once it's all back together.

Do Renault/ motor factors do an exchange on calipers ?

You can buy rebuild kits from renault for a fairly decent price but
a) I wouldn't know where to start with rebuilding them
b) I need the car to get to work
c) apparently bleading the whole breaking system is a pain and you need a kit to do it.

Wil just grease everything up and keep checking it, and if they do start wearing un-evenly again i will take it to JLS

ITB'd MK1
175Nm on the rear bearing. Just looks like the bearing has started to come apart, which is usually down to incorrect torque if they're not just old and at the end of their natural life

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
175Nm on the rear bearing. Just looks like the bearing has started to come apart, which is usually down to incorrect torque if they're not just old and at the end of their natural life

When i did them to 175nm though the disc wouldn't spin around so had to loosen them off to make it spin :eek:

Quick questions while you're here jonny - When I fitted these discs previously, I was torquing the big bolt in the middle up, and I heard quiet a loud click. Is this normal (someone said it will just be the bearings pressing into place?)

Also when I torqued them up, the wheel wouldn't spin at all so I had to loosen it off abit.

I'm trying to understand what i did wrong last time so i don't f**k it up again this time around.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Here is what the pads look like.

One on the left is off the passengers side, one on the right is off the drivers side. There is about a 2/3mm difference between the two

3d214f81.gif

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Have I put this together right. Can't work out what you do with that metal stick that goes on the pad

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1300634628.901856.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1300634628.901856.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 126
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1300634668.414330.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1300634668.414330.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 116
  S4 Avant
Hey Luke, remember last year when we were changing rear disks at about the same time, and you took the piss out of me for snapping that bolt and messing it up?

....well my rear disks are absolutely fine ;)

Owen

ClioSport Admin
I had to bend the metal clips slighty when I did mine as the pads that Fred supplied had a metal backing plate which meant the clip wouldn't reach round the side of the pad initially.

I had the top part of the clip between the carrier and the 'ear' on the pad

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Thanks all i've worked out where i was going wrong with the metal pin things :eek:

I still don't know why it's happened though or how to fix it. I know that when i fit these new discs its just going to happen again. New calippers are we reckoning?

ITB'd MK1
I had to bend the metal clips slighty when I did mine as the pads that Fred supplied had a metal backing plate which meant the clip wouldn't reach round the side of the pad initially.

I had the top part of the clip between the carrier and the 'ear' on the pad

HUH?! sounds like you really didn't do it right