ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How far can a Cup's weight loss go?

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Suggestions:

CF bonnet or fibre glass, or remove the metal struts in the bonnet.
Drill holes in panels
Strip inside door metal off
CF door mirros
Poly carb windows
Only run drivers seat
Remove the dash board you pu$$ey :p
Remove heaters

Must be another 40kg right there!

Good work so far but you need to be more hardcore! he he.

this guy is spot on ;) be as well going the full hog now :)

clio 200 F4Rt
very interesting stuff, seeing as its more of removal than changing things for lighter items.

if you do start to do that then there are loads of weight saving items, alot already mentioned.

not ofrgetting some mechanical parts, a set of alloy 4 pots, with 2 peice discs weighs half that of the standard setup.

what about a cutome titanium exhaust? that will save a few good kgs!

great stuff tho mark, you ron track at FCS right??

I

invisible man

Why don't you just buy a faster car instead of wasting money by destroying the one you've got. Or am I missing the point?

C

Cupster

Train a monkey to drive it for you! lose the drivers weight that way! -70 kgs at least? lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Good stuff Mark

I have took out -

Everything out of the boot, rear seats including all belts, all carpets and rear cards, centre console + both front seats replaced with Cobra Suzuka and obviously dumping the belts etc from the front....what weight do you reckon that will be?

Chris

So, compared to me you've still got the front door cards, head-lining etc., carbon canister, stereo, front speakers, splitter, fuel rail protector, fog lights, engine soundproofing, power steering, but you've taken out and swapped the passenger seat?

If your seats are like mine (one weighed 5kg) then you've got about 26kgs of things still on that I've had removed...but you've got 15 back from the passenger seat.

So you're a lardy 925-930kgs.

How thick was that nice shiney white paint job though eh?

whats that thing on the inside of the roof were a sunroof would be ?

A strip of hot melt glue used to stick the hedlining up...any attempt to get it off is likely to dent/crease the roof.

Did you just weigh what you took out and took that away from the book kerb weight?

Or did you actually weight it ?

This is all working back from Renault's quoted 1,021kgs standard kerb weight.

I'll get it weighed properly when I finally change my suspension and get it set up...until then this is the best I have to go on.

Good stuff Mark :)

What about the alloys ? How much do they weigh each ? Can you get lighter ones ?

One thing I haven't accounted for is the wheels...never weighed any of my current rim/tyres...but I did weigh one of my Turinis for reference before I swapped them. 17 kgs with a heavily worn tyre IIRC.

I've got some wheel/tyre swaps to do before FCS so I'll chuck a set on the scales at work to see what my various 15s come in at.

I thought it had some mods? Fancy ECU/Exhaust etc? Also, has it been rollered, and weighed? You should do those things now so you know *exactly* what you've acheived, just as a matter of interest :)

Dan

Fancy? LOL - they've been pretty simple so far.

Had it rollered and it consistently shows 178 before power steering removal.

very interesting stuff, seeing as its more of removal than changing things for lighter items.

if you do start to do that then there are loads of weight saving items, alot already mentioned.

not ofrgetting some mechanical parts, a set of alloy 4 pots, with 2 peice discs weighs half that of the standard setup.

what about a cutome titanium exhaust? that will save a few good kgs!

great stuff tho mark, you ron track at FCS right??

I know, I know, I know...there's plenty more I can do...but then I start losing the stealth aspect, and also have to start spending a lot of money.

I want to race with it eventually, so want to keep my options open, and going all out for carbon bodywork or polycarb windows and ripping the dash out will restrict where I can take it.

Yes to FCS, will want to mount my camera in your car so you can chase me ;). I'll have three clear tapes, two fully charged batteries and one f*** off big brave pill :evil:

Why don't you just buy a faster car instead of wasting money by destroying the one you've got. Or am I missing the point?

Destroying it? I did that in the first 4 years/100k miles of its life commuting every single day.

It lost any kind of residual value it had over that time, and has had more than a few offs, scrapes, and interfaces with wheat fields, and tyre walls. The paintwork alone would make 95% of Cliosport owners sob uncontrollably.

So its retired now, and loving it.

320d
Having a striped car as a second car is just like owning a superbike, you wouldnt want to drive/ride it everyday, but for fun and trackdays you cant beat it.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
One thing I haven't accounted for is the wheels...never weighed any of my current rim/tyres...but I did weigh one of my Turinis for reference before I swapped them. 17 kgs with a heavily worn tyre IIRC.

Well chief if thats the case going for some lightweight rims should be a priority....you could save 20kgs of UNSPRUNG weight with some lightweight 15s....mine weighed in at 12.1kgs with tyres....

edit..actually i was 100g out lol

2405082215yd7.jpg

Last edited:
  ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
Plastic windows are a must, carbon bonnet, lightweight cup rear boot...

Good work Mark, I really fancy a ready made cup racer..Mmmm

Nippy white cup
So, compared to me you've still got the front door cards, head-lining etc., carbon canister, stereo, front speakers, splitter, fuel rail protector, fog lights, engine soundproofing, power steering, but you've taken out and swapped the passenger seat?

If your seats are like mine (one weighed 5kg) then you've got about 26kgs of things still on that I've had removed...but you've got 15 back from the passenger seat.

So you're a lardy 925-930kgs.

How thick was that nice shiney white paint job though eh?

Lol Not exactly nice paint job...already working on chipping it off :(

Actually I forgot I removed the engine soundproofing. Just done a check on letstorque.com. At 195bhp and 930kgs mine would be 213bhp per ton....stats are pretty realistic (0-60 5.49 so pretty close to mine and 1/4mile in just under 13 secs which is again probably spot on)

Need some superlight 15's and I'll be happy..that and a carbon bonnet lol

Chris

clio 200 F4Rt
Camera work sounds like fun mark.

i will have my camera in too, so make sure we go out together, could get some really good footage between us!

Mark leave the fuel guage in place IMo its there for good reason.

Idea to loose wight will either be either

semi expensive ie change battery (repositoon for better weight distribution etc) plastic windows and remove the mechanism from the passenger (and driver if your realy hard core) to rewiring the whole car bin the UCH and the extra computer stuff you have etc

or loose things which are handy to have ie side wing mirror rear electic herather for rear window wiring /wiper removal to dashboard like radio etc removal to heater etc.