ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How Do You Know So Much About Cars

There a lot of people on these forums that know a hell of alot about Clios and cars in general.

Where the hell do you learn this stuff from? I know you cant all have masters in mechanics! Is it just from working with cars etc?
Id love to learn more, show me the way!

Is there any sites I could study?

Punto/Clio GTT

ima body repairer n painter.. so know lots n lots on that part... as for engines and mechanics... bleah... lol

ive been told so many times how an engine works with the petrol explodin in thecylinders.. and.. all that. think im gonna take my engine apart on my next car and im gonna rebuild it from scratch, just to see how it actually works.

FM

172, Tiguan

Whats wrong with that!!!

Thats what you did at school?? I assume you can now read write etc?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Everything I know (which isnt much) about cars was pretty much from reading this forum ;)

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 25 November 2004

Whats wrong with that!!!

Thats what you did at school?? I assume you can now read write etc?
Nowt, thats kinda what I do now, you just sounded a little sarcastic.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 25 November 2004

Read, watch, listen, learn, have a go.

Exactly how I learned how to build pcs and everthing else IT wise.

Same applies to trying ye luck with women....

172, Tiguan

Nothing applies to women, thats just luck!

Gee apologies, wasnt ment sarcastically. Thats how Ive learnt what I know about cars.

Dont know realy guess of the forum.

Or subliminal messaging.

Easilies way to learn to to rid yourself of a social life/dont start one. Then stay on the forum and read every post and back it up with a bit of random websitre reading youll soon know which sites talk cobblers and which are talking the truth.

On another note, is there not one of them mechanic book on the NK PH 2 Clios?

Forgot what you call them now, you will all know!

jon_r: No probs man.

Quote: Originally posted by GeeUK on 25 November 2004

The dialgoues are what loads of people use but since there sold illegally its bit of a dody subkject to talk about on the forum.#

There what Renault use and Hayney use them to write the books.

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 25 November 2004

The dialgoues are what loads of people use but since there sold illegally its bit of a dody subkject to talk about on the forum.#

Haynes! Thats the one! Ive only seen these for valvers, etc

Used to be a mechanic for a v successful Stockcar team, learnt a little building kit cars with friends then started racing and kinda just had to get on and do it then!

read listen ask questions and talk to inteligent people like ben who is a very good source for info on alot of things also a mate of mine is an engine designer for toyota

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Longer you spend on the forum youll find the some questions come round again and again. If youve got a good memory youre an expert after a while :)

For really difficult questions tho youll see we all rely on folk like Mike172, BenR, Jay and some of other RTEs.

Haynes! Thats the one! Ive only seen these for valvers, etc
The Hayney manual for the Mk2 2 Clios (ie traniagular lights type) isnt out yet. Its takes about 3yrs before they make one.

insignia

From when I was a kid I was fascinated with cars,toy cars anything to do with cars I loved it.I used to watch the drivers every movements when I was a passenger,and sometimes at weekend I just loved sitting in my dads motor and play for hours using my imagination that I was driving to some destination.Funny thing was that I actually remember doing the car noises and changing gear and using the pedals.That would give me hours of fun when I was young.

When I was 12 my mum let me have a go on the industrial estate near me.I bet her that I could drive without stalling.She was amazed to see that my clutch control was spot on and Id never driven a car before.

I remember crying myself to sleep a few times because I had another 10 years or so before I could learn to drive.

When I was 17 I passed my test straight away,it was really a piece of piss.The theory I failed first time,I found that hard,the joint before probably didnt help.

Any car programme etc I watch. I look in stats in the back of magazines and always notice a new model.I look in the Auto Trader, buy a Parkers guide every now and then and I dont even want a dam f**king car.I cant help it,its in my blood.

When It comes to the machanics,I only know the basics,but thats something that Ive never cared to much about.:oops:

i dont know much, but what i do know is mostly about clios! all the diff phases etc! just read the posts, you soon get to learn it all!

golf

Reading loads of threads like on this site and others + doing bit to your own motor! Am know expert but ill give it a bash!!

Clio v6

I worked in a parts department for a few years. I always insisted that I took the parts over to the fitters and they didnt get them until they showed where the part went and what it did etc.

I attempted jobs on my cars and if I got it wrong, I was given help due to having at least tried.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by James on 25 November 2004
I worked in a parts department for a few years. I always insisted that I took the parts over to the fitters and they didnt get them until they showed where the part went and what it did etc.

I attempted jobs on my cars and if I got it wrong, I was given help due to having at least tried.

I worked in a Vauxhall parts department for a short while.

Volvo S60 T5

14 years in the motor trade for me, 3 years at Renault as a muppet as you all call us techs!:(

Plus this forum is good for learning things.

Lionel Richie

The Haynes manual for the Mk2 2 Clios (ie traniagular lights type) isnt out yet. Its takes about 3yrs before they make one.
Yeah, but the 1998-2001 are exactly the same!!! and theres a haynes for those, cos i have it!!!!! (cheers Roamer!!!)

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 26 November 2004

Yeah, but the 1998-2001 are exactly the same!!! and theres a haynes for those, cos i have it!!!!! (cheers Roamer!!!)
Yep the cars are very simialar nothing much significantly has changed.

Ive tried to find out aout a new Haynes everyone says they never made one (not all of the people I asked were muppets as well).

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Andy D on 25 November 2004

Longer you spend on the forum youll find the some questions come round again and again. If youve got a good memory youre an expert after a while :)

For really difficult questions tho youll see we all rely on folk like Mike172, BenR, Jay and some of other RTEs.
Exactly right. I can answer a lot of the questions on this forum because I have a good memory, and have have seen the answers elsewhere. A bit of it comes from experience (having and old banger for a first car, having to work on it in some form every weekend just to keep it on the road lol)

Im trying to learn about the ins and outs of the modern engine, with a little help from BenR. When I can actually comprehend what hes saying lol.

23 years of fixing my own/friends cars and having mates who are good mechanics so pick up alot from them over time...Plus reading and asking when I dont know how to do something.

Black 182 + Recaros

Would never have done anything under the bonnet before joining this forum.

Joined in February and have just done my first basic service on a 172 :).

You see others doing it and think "well it cant be that difficult". And it isnt. As long as youve got a half decent tool box.

Hope to do my brakes next (following the guide posted on here). Saving myself a bl**dy fortune. Yippey :D

it depends how keen you are to get this info. if you cant get what you want form reading on the internet (which contains almost everything) You could offer to assist (unpaid work) in your free time with a decent tuning company (or bodywork co whatever your interested in) and learn from watching the experts.......and the quickest and best way to learn.....hands on experience.

Yeah I agree, no time in this day an age thou. Especially if its not paid for!
Im ashamed to say Ive never even fitted a wheel before. :oops:

BMW 320d Sport

Never knew a thing about cars after years of driving until I got my valver. Found Id bought a slightly dodgy motor where things kept going wrong. Started minor modifications, uprating parts whenever they needed replacing. Gradually started to meet like-minded people with old Clios who after a lot of meets around Essex, became the core of what we now know as Cliosport. We all knew a bit about certain jobs on our valvers and Willys and so a lot of our meets would be opportunities to share skills, help each other out etc.

I still know nothing really about cars, but gradually I have accumulated Clio-fixing ability. Not being a trained mechanic, I only know what I have been shown or taught myself from the Haynes or following someones advice on here. Thats quite a lot of stuff, but for example, I want to change my heater matrix so I posted about that and now I know what I need to do. that will go into my memory and next time Ill be able to help someone else out if they need to do the same job. It sounds crazy but on a valver I could reroute fuel lines and fit an adjustable regulator, or delve into the wiring behind and under the dash, or fix any electrical trouble,or completely remove the front suspension and change the spring rate with no problem, yet ask me to bleed the brakes and I havent the faintest idea! I can have a wheel off in a minute or so, yet I wouldnt know where to start if I had to drain the coolant.

Its all down to practice. I can now take a suspension strut out and have it on the bench in under 5 minutes at a push.

One of the main ideas when we started Cliosport was that all this practical knowledge that the few core members had, even if it wasnt much, could be put together and shared with everyone else, and hopefully other people would start contributing as well. Im pleased to say it all went according to plan and from some of the answers on this thread lots of people are getting to grips with their Clios!

Clio 182, Audi A3

Hard to learn on new cars, theyre so complex. I spent 20 years rebuilding and modifying Alfasuds, I wouldnt touch my 182.

Black 182 + Recaros

I agree with you on that Grandad. Theres a lot of technology built into new cars, using computer chips etc. Some jobs simply cant be done by the average guy on the street. And the manufactureres know that :devilish:.

Have you seen how much room there is (or isnt) under the bonnet. You need pullies and ropes so you can hang above the car and get yourself in the right position ;).

Im suprised at how you have learnt so much Nick.
Your posts have read seem very proffesional, like a man that really knows what he is talking about!