ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how do u know if driveshafts are nackered???

clio mk1 phase 3
turning a corner and then knocking as you put your foot on gas... (thats what my mates is like and been told his driveshaft is on the way out)

182 (Conversion)
Does the sound change with road speed or engine speed? Get up to speed somewhere and change through a few gears to see. The full lock and turning (going slow) might identify some knocking too.

172 cup
nah its only when i give it beans then 5000rpm and after i get a gay noise but when driving normal and fast all i hear is roadnoise due to being stripped out but thats it i get a clonk at the mo which i think is down to my engine mounts but im getting k-tecs uprated ones tomoz :)

1.5dci
possible bearing noise ?

on my 1.2 you could hardly hear it at low speed, hit over 50 yano duel carrageway n its wuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuw

When I needed a new driveshaft on a zetec-s, there was play in it when you pulled at it and also there was a large damp patch on it. Whether that'd be the same story with the Clio I don't know.

1.5dci
take your weel off n give it a wiggle, this bloke looked at my driveshaft, hes gonan fix it for me , he goes, the bearings goin slightly, gev it a shake like n said ' hear that ' some little noise thing n he said, he'll take it apart n grease it up, stop it rubbin, was same side my wheel came off n so its all damage etc

( clio took it rele well tbh, just need a new wing , brake disks n greasin driveshaft :D )

1.5dci
yeah, that could be it, play = bad :)

becareful if your gonna swap your driveshaft, theres erm these 3 casing type things, with 24 bearings in each 1 do not drop :)

can you get recon too motormainia by me im sure do a recon service

Vee 6
A heavy metallic knocking noise on full lock is a worn CV joint at the end of the drive shaft.

The driveshaft itself is just that, A heavy rod from the drive wheels to the gearbox. Unless something is rubbing against it it doesn't really make a noise.

The best idea is jack up one front wheel at a time and give it a spin, What you could be hearing is a worn wheel bearing, Brake disc back plate rubbing of the disc, a worn or defective pad.

Or it's coming from the other end of the driveshaft at the gearbox......Hope not !!!!

172 cup
but thing is my mate has the same in both his shafts a slight lil bit of play but nothing to excessive and he doesnt get any bad noises like me

1.5dci
yea thats where mines worn on the cv joint, as my mate said take apart soak in diesel let it dry out , then fill with heavy duty grease

172 cup
i do honestly think my manifold is rubbing on my subframe abit ill have to do engine mounts then see what happens from there cuz its to weird the noise only happens from 5000rpm when the car is under alot of load