ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do I remove strong glue from my alloys?

Renault Clio 4 RS
Hi everyone,

Roughly 6 months ago I thought it would be a good idea to put red rim tape on my alloys. A feature that actually looked pretty cool, until I was travelling at 70mph and the two front ones flew off...

The issue is, as the rim tape flew off the sticky adhesive bit was left behind so now i'm left with a load of sticky residue on the alloys. I'm not entirely sure how to get it off. I've tried just scrubbing it off, but the glue is really stuck down on the alloy. I haven't tried much else at the moment. I've heard boiling water and a brush might work, so I need to go down B&Q or something and get a brush. Would some sort of alchol best liquid do the trick? Has anyone else previously had experience with this sort of thing before?

Thanks in advance

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Autosmart tardis or carpro tar X

Spray on, let it dwell, wipe off

Or if its stubborn, saturate some paper towels in whichever you buy and press it on until the glue is soft enough to wipe off

14835715109_82e38e6180_b.jpg

15022084202_5fb158199c_b.jpg

14835836938_59e21d9e3d_b.jpg

Renault Clio 4 RS
Autosmart tardis or carpro tar X

Spray on, let it dwell, wipe off

Or if its stubborn, saturate some paper towels in whichever you buy and press it on until the glue is soft enough to wipe off

14835715109_82e38e6180_b.jpg

15022084202_5fb158199c_b.jpg

14835836938_59e21d9e3d_b.jpg
Thanks mate, will give that a try. Might try some boiling water as well to try and melt the glue or soften it.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Thanks mate, will give that a try. Might try some boiling water as well to try and melt the glue or soften it.

I wouldn't recommend that, especially in this weather. You don't want to be pouring boiling water onto anything which is freezing.

See if a local member has any tar and glue remover they'll let you use in exhange for beer tokens

Renault Clio 4 RS
I wouldn't recommend that, especially in this weather. You don't want to be pouring boiling water onto anything which is freezing.

See if a local member has any tar and glue remover they'll let you use in exhange for beer tokens
I bought some Tar X online today so I may have to wait for that to arrive in order to proceed with the removal :D Thank you

Renault Clio 4 RS
trust me it didn't look cool in any way whatsoever :tongueclosed:
It's a little bit like marmite, you either love it or hate it. I thought it looked alright haha, had other people say they thought it looked nice as well. Not just me haha!