ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do I know if my car is a 172 or 182?

Clio 182
I recently bought a 2004 Clio sport, it was sold to me as a 182 and I believe the seller was of the same opinion. I have the VIN and registration number. How can I confirm that this is an original 182 and not a 172 converted? The reason I am suspicious is that the boot floor has been tampered with to make it flat.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Flat boot
Twin exhaust
Manifold

Hpi check - this will tell you. Plus did the 182 not start in 2004?

Clio 182
Thanks but those are all things that can be inatalled or fabricated. I want to confirm by VIN or reg number?
The HPI check is a good idea, I will try that.
I called my local Renault dealer even they couldn't tell me!!

Thanks again.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Iirc the boot floor of he 182 did look ‘messed with’ or an afterthought. As the body and bodywork was pretty much the same.
Im sure 2004 saw both the last 172 and early 182 models, so chances are it is.
What colour is it? Post a picture as that will give clues too.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Text the registration to 78111 and it runs a a hpi check. It’s about £3 I think

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
If it's black make sure you get a picture of it in the light close up so you can see the metallic in the paint! If the metallic is gold it's BG in colour which only came on the 182.

Clio 182
HPI check confirms it is a 172:(. It has a twin pipe Milltek, flat boot and 182 manifold so all the important bits. I bought it cheap with brand new boxed Cooksport springs and dampers, plus Brembo discs and pads all round, also boxed. Also included was a Safety Devices rear cage. It drives well so all that softens the blow. I bought it off a pal who I think genuinely believed it to be a 182.

Clio 182
It's a nice low mileage one (80k) supported by an MOT history check. I'm fitting the rear cage soon as it's going to do some track work. The cage came bare without fittings. Any recomendations about strengthening the floor at the mounting points?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
HPI check confirms it is a 172:(. It has a twin pipe Milltek, flat boot and 182 manifold so all the important bits. I bought it cheap with brand new boxed Cooksport springs and dampers, plus Brembo discs and pads all round, also boxed. Also included was a Safety Devices rear cage. It drives well so all that softens the blow. I bought it off a pal who I think genuinely believed it to be a 182.
HPI is only as good as the useless pleb that was in charge of it being registered..

Show a pic of the boot ? I'm sure someone with a later one can put a pic up to show you that's equally as shite looking.

Clio 182
I will get a pic at lunch time but the welding of the conversion is like manufacturer quality. The exhaust wasn't hanging right until I attacked it.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I don’t see why your average punter would bodge up the boot floor when there are work around exhausts that make it look like a 182. Just seems a bit strange

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
99D1A42D-93BC-40A3-815C-9BA4A34B7641.jpeg

I wouldn’t say the boot floor looked ‘factory’ from the factory lol

2014 Clio 200t edc
As said above it wouldn’t be the first time cars were registered incorrectly. My 1st 172 was a cup apparently, despite actually being a normal 172. I would bet it is a 182 as has also been said above, can’t see someone changing the rear boot floor just for an exhaust.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Also the seats in a 182 were ever so a lightly different, with a dotted Alcantara insert in the seat. You can tell the difference. Also you could measure the suspension bolt holes to see if it’s cup packed, as it has a cup rear spoiler.