ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do I go about performing an oil change

Clio 172 Ph1
Hi I've had my car for a year and have done about 9,000 miles. I think it's about time I get it sorted. I know I need to find the sump plug to drain it but do I flush it out afterwards? And how do I go about the filter?

Cheers

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
do this on flat ground

pretty much all there is to it is warm engine slightly so oil flows out freely. remove sump plug over the oil catch pan/cut up old container and let the lot run out

as its coming out, remove the fuel rail guard to ease access and unscrew the oil filter from the front of the block. use a tool if needed as may be tight

clean up the mating face on the block if needed, get new filter and run a small amount of new engine oil on the rubber seal and screw into place. do up hand tight, do not overtighten it. leave fuel guard off for now.

refit sump plug with a new washer (if you like, or reuse old one).

remove oil cap from top of engine and slap about 4-5 litres in. wait for a minute for it to accumulate in the sump and check level with dipstick

top up to just under the top notch on the dipstick and refit oil cap.

car in neutral, turn on engine and let the oil run round for a while and check the new filter to ensure no leaks.

turn off, let settle and check level again

if happy refit the fuel guard and done

take old oil to the tip

Westfield, 182, 200
Have you got a friend or relative who could show you?

It's quite easy, but first time around could difficult!

Clio 172 Ph1
Nice I am going to get all the tools ready before I do it so it isn't a disaster lol are the oil filter strap grabber things any good or better with the pliers

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
yeah they should do the job. I usually opt for the stress relief option of hammer a screwdriver through it and bash it undone....however its not strictly recommended as if the end of the filter breaks away completely first, your in a bit of a pickle I wouldn't like to get a novice into ;) lol!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Lol I guess that's a back up ;) haha

I use the rubber strap type tool myself, not had a go as it'll be my first oil change but it seems very strong, after the weekend I should be able to tell you my thoughts of it :)

Anyone know if you could do the oil filter through the wheel arch rather than take off the fuel guard? Also how would you raise the car up to get underneath it in the easiest way?

Thanks

330i. E30 Touring.
I use the rubber strap type tool myself, not had a go as it'll be my first oil change but it seems very strong, after the weekend I should be able to tell you my thoughts of it :)

Anyone know if you could do the oil filter through the wheel arch rather than take off the fuel guard? Also how would you raise the car up to get underneath it in the easiest way?

Thanks

No chance through the wheel arch liner. Aux setup is in the way.

From the top only.

172 Cup
No chance through the wheel arch liner. Aux setup is in the way.

From the top only.

Absolutely! Plus it's only two nuts to remove the fuel rail guard. As long as you have a deep socket (10mm I think....) or an extension bar, it'll be easy. And remember to remove the guard carefully if the nuts have been left loose inside.