ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do I get it to shine?

2005 Clio 182
Black gold Clio 182, looks ok when washed but the paint has a rough feel to it. Obviously has some dirt bonded to it, any suggestions for cleaning and shining would be appreciated. Last time I used some polish on it I managed to get it on the plastic trim of the mirrors etc, mess and a lesson learnt. Thanks Paul.

MK3 Clio DCI 86
I'm no detailing expert but I guess it could to with claying and some decent polish/wax combo ? I'm sure some expert will be along shortly ;)

Not a 320d
This.

Claying will make the paint feel smooth. And use some tape to cover the plastic trims.

Not to be a prick, but why tape when claying?

if youre on a budget or short of time, Wash, clay, dry then apply a wax or sealant.

More time and money - Wash, de-tar (Buy a sample of autosmart tardis from ebay), clay (Cheap block of clay like Bilt Hamber from elite car care), dry, use a paintwork cleaner/polish/glaze (whatever you want - Autoglym Super Resin Polish, Auto finesse tripple theres loads) then apply a sealant or wax.

Theres plenty out there wax or sealant wise. Anything simple like Autofinesse tough coat would do the job, FK1000p if youre after a long lasting sealant, FK Pink for a little more carnuba wax type wetness.

F56 MINI Cooper S
You can but just apply some wax after a wash. My paintwork on my previous cars felt rough, but when i waxed them it felt alot nicer, alot smoother so just waxed it all the time

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Really? That's not exactly good advice is it!

I've got rust coming through on he arches, bought some touch up paint and jobs a good'n. Can't see it anymore so must be fine yeah?

I'm sorry but you can't be coming out with stuff like that as its not solving the problem, it's temporarily hiding it that whilst applying the wax may have actually incurred more damage

Not a 320d
>washing up liquid in a bucket

Jesus f**king christ. Do people really do this?

Also I can see why people would just apply wax. Itll do the job but it wont last 5 minutes. Remove the bonded shite and clean the paintwork and youll achieve better looks and durability by far.

172 Cup
Depends how much ££ and time you want to spend really...

Assign an afternoon and properly clay your car. It will take some time to do it properly if you've never done it before.

Tape over the plastic trims and gaps of your car and get ready for a good workout....

Ideally get a buffer, some good 'cutting' polish, and a good pad -
3M Stuff is awesome & get a yellow pad.
http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-1642-3m-perfect-it-iii-extra-fine-compound-80349-1-litre-bottle.aspx

Then some nice wax to finish it off
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Megui...ssories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item231d42f596

---- I agree that that's all a bit expensive and extreme. But really just Clay it, polish it with a cutting polish and then seal it in with a decent wax.
If you have never done it properly before it's gonna be HARD work for the first few goes, but after that, if you give it a quick clean n polish once every couple of months it will be easy.

Some pics of my other motor:

7645963512_86d9ea3d59.jpg

Last edited:
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
Right, to get started, you need to first get a good wash and de contaminate the paint. Best way to do this is wash, use a tar remover, use an iron remover, then clay. This will remove the majority of dirt and bonded rubbish. Now you have a good base to start from. Options from here are to start on full paint correction with polishing compounds, or use a filler heavy product like tripple, Blackhole, blackmax etc. Then you want to look into a sealant or wax to hold in all your hard work

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Or should I say the hard bit is knowing when to stop?

2005 Clio 182
Thanks for the tips, no pain no gain. Hoping for a few decent days so that I can make a start on it. It looks ok when its clean but soon loses its shine. Cheers Paul

2005 Clio 182
Depends how much ££ and time you want to spend really...

Assign an afternoon and properly clay your car. It will take some time to do it properly if you've never done it before.

Tape over the plastic trims and gaps of your car and get ready for a good workout....

Ideally get a buffer, some good 'cutting' polish, and a good pad -
3M Stuff is awesome & get a yellow pad.
http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-1642-3m-perfect-it-iii-extra-fine-compound-80349-1-litre-bottle.aspx

Then some nice wax to finish it off
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Megui...ssories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item231d42f596

---- I agree that that's all a bit expensive and extreme. But really just Clay it, polish it with a cutting polish and then seal it in with a decent wax.
If you have never done it properly before it's gonna be HARD work for the first few goes, but after that, if you give it a quick clean n polish once every couple of months it will be easy.

Some pics of my other motor:

7645963512_86d9ea3d59.jpg

Great pics of Holly too!