ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do i back up Samsung Galaxy S4 ? Alternatives to Kie ?

Does anyone know how to backup a Samsung Galaxy S4 without having to use that shocking Kies software Samsung recommend ?
After installing it (KIES) in two separate laptops (Macbook Pro & Windows VAIO) after I thought it was a compatibility issue with my MBP.
I still cannot back my phone up without it shitting itself and freezing.

I have used Airdroid to transfer my photos and music to my computer but still have Apps etc to try and back up.

The only good thing about my previous iphones was the ease of backing it up through horrid I tunes.

Any help appreciated.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
There are some sub $50 pieces knocking about but how good they are I cannot say as I let Google and Dropbox keep my essentials safe on the Cloud.

There are some sub $50 pieces knocking about but how good they are I cannot say as I let Google and Dropbox keep my essentials safe on the Cloud.

How do/did you setup Dropbox/Google ?
Is it Androids version of iCloud ?

I'm sure you can tell I haven't had many Android handsets.

Titaniumbackup and Dropbox.

Is Titaniumbackup on Google Play ? Is it free and easy enough to setup ?

Suzuki Ignis Sport
How do/did you setup Dropbox/Google ?
Is it Androids version of iCloud ?

I'm sure you can tell I haven't had many Android handsets.

Is Titaniumbackup on Google Play ? Is it free and easy enough to setup ?

Google Drive is Google's version of Dropbox, not as good IMO. TitaniumBackup requires your phone to be rooted (or used to..) it's not free, but very powerful and fairly easy.. bit ugly though.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Firstly, if you havent got the app installed get Dropbox then setup a Dropbox account (do it via the website and read how to get loads of free space).

Then go to settings > Dropbox > select items to auto upload/backup.

You can also "share" items to Dropbox to. Google services will auto backup anyway unless you specifically tell them not to.

Google Drive is Google's version of Dropbox, not as good IMO. TitaniumBackup requires your phone to be rooted (or used to..) it's not free, but very powerful and fairly easy.. bit ugly though.

Firstly, if you havent got the app installed get Dropbox then setup a Dropbox account (do it via the website and read how to get loads of free space).

Then go to settings > Dropbox > select items to auto upload/backup.

You can also "share" items to Dropbox to. Google services will auto backup anyway unless you specifically tell them not to.

I gave just found Dropbox on my phone, there is nothing in it but my photos from my phone.
No Google Drive though
What at is rooted ?

I'll have a look through those links ;)

As useful as Cloud storage is, it's no good to me as I have been sent away to work in remote locations with piss poor internet connections (Congo, Cameroon, Angola, Egypt and oil rigs/vessels in African and Asian waters) where internet is the equivalent of dial up :(

Does anyone know how I can back my phone to my laptop ?

I have a Macbook Pro running OSX and a VAIO I can use which is running horrid Windows 8.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Can't you just use Android File Transfer to just copy everything on the phone to a file on an ExHDD? I have an S4, but I'm guilty of not backing it up - but then it has nothing I can't afford to lose, every so often I take all the photos and videos on it and put them in a folder on my ExHDD, all the music on it I already have elsewhere, old texts mean nothing to me, all my contacts are on SIM, and all apps I've downloaded are saved in Google Play - I may be missing something important, but I hard-reset the phone just the other day after issues with Android 4.3 and haven't lost anything I want nor need.

Anyone any simple solutions ?

By simple i mean, similar to itunes back up etc.

As much as i like the S4 it seems a lot of f**king about just to back things up.

Maybe i have had Apple products too long.

Rav4
Backing up android phones is w a n k

I need to swap my nexus 5 due to the issues having with it, don't want to lose my setup , including whatsapp conversations. The amount of fannying around I have to so is immense.

iPhone, sure can't play with it as much but my god is iTunes easy for backing up and restoring iPhones and iPads.

Sold with Androids functionality but everything else, needs a lot of work. And no, I should not need to pay to backup my phone, the provider should give me the tools if they want me to stay with them.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Backing up android phones is w a n k

I need to swap my nexus 5 due to the issues having with it, don't want to lose my setup , including whatsapp conversations. The amount of fannying around I have to so is immense.

iPhone, sure can't play with it as much but my god is iTunes easy for backing up and restoring iPhones and iPads.

Sold with Androids functionality but everything else, needs a lot of work. And no, I should not need to pay to backup my phone, the provider should give me the tools if they want me to stay with them.

Doesn't Settings/Backup & Restore not do what you want?

benz
Does anyone know how to backup a Samsung Galaxy S4 without having to use that shocking Kies software Samsung recommend ?
After installing it (KIES) in two separate laptops (Macbook Pro & Windows VAIO) after I thought it was a compatibility issue with my MBP.
I still cannot back my phone up without it shitting itself and freezing.

I have used Airdroid to transfer my photos and music to my computer but still have Apps etc to try and back up.

The only good thing about my previous iphones was the ease of backing it up through horrid I tunes.

Any help appreciated.
You can try kies, but i think it's more convenient to use an android assistant to transfer data from samsung galaxy to computer. It could transfer sms, contacts, photos, etc.