ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How accurate is the oil level sensor on the onboard computer?

Suzuki Ignis Sport
The subject says it all. My dipstick doesnt seem to be showing my oil level too good, its always a bad reading. I'm on level ground, cool engine, I've even cleaned the actual dipstick to no avail. I now rely on my onboard computer to show how much oil I have left. Is the sensor accurate enough? It's on 3bars at the minute (out of I think 6? so I might top it up soon)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Manual check is the best way, but so long as you are parked on the flat Ive always found the gauge to very closely correspond to the dispstick on our cars, but thats only on the few 172s we have had so wouldnt like to say they are all that good without a bigger sample size.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
The one in my 197 seems fairly accurate, when parked on level ground of course.

Chris

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah if you press the button it will show you a reading like OOOOOO if its full or OOO if its halfway between the minimum and maximum.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Mine was goosed, used to flash ------- and throw the SERV light on if I parked at any angle at all, even with the car "good to go" going by the dipstick

Changed the sensor when I did my oil/filter 2 weeks ago and all is well again :)
Still check the stick every few days too

I amaze the garage I take my road cars too, as I never check anything unless there's a light showing, bombing back from France last year, oil light came on I stop, check oil, right enough it requires some. Buy oil top up and carried on (i'll take some this year as it was £20 for a liter!!). Now where's the fuss in that??

The windscreen wash is the worst one, forever getting asked to fill Sam's up, disconnecting that mofo one day. She won't be shown.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Not sure if that's sarcasm or not to be honest. Can never tell on CS! If it is then, somebody asked how to do it so I was only telling them.

No its really wasn't! I have always thought that the 'oil ok' was a bit of a waste of time, never knew you could push the button to show the actual level, thats much better!

The windscreen wash is the worst one, forever getting asked to fill Sam's up, disconnecting that mofo one day. She won't be shown.

No washer fluid is a Pet hate of mine. My ex had a habit of using my car and running it out of fluid and not telling me. It's not helped with my OCD of glass either. It's either spotless or very very dirty.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
No its really wasn't! I have always thought that the 'oil ok' was a bit of a waste of time, never knew you could push the button to show the actual level, thats much better!

Ah that's good then! Just thought it was sarcasm haha. It's a good feature! :)

04 Clio 172, Meg 250
Seems to be quite accurate. Still check it with the dipstick when I give it a wash just to be sure.