ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How about an Onboard TimeAttack Championship winning lap from a VX220 S/C

Lotus Elise
My 3rd Championship winner this year for the drivers I look after, this time in the UK Time Attack series (RWD, Club).

This is onboard with Jimmy White as he sets a laptime 3 secs quicker than his Championship rival and pre-race Championship leader, in an 600bhp RX7. This nets Jimmy the 2011 Title ;)

Direct Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWOXdNMhAhA

Maxx

Last edited by a moderator:
  Lotus Elise
Had a few comments on this video that the car sounds more like a 'sewing machine' LOL so have posted a video from the training day before which is what it REALLY sounds like inside the car (was using my Video system).

Direct Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Z5T8LUqXo

Maxx

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching the pedal cam for most of that, as I've trying to get the hang of heel and toe in my VX.

As a bit of a noob, why does it look like he's really slow coming off the clutch, for example at 1.15?

Lotus Elise
I was watching the pedal cam for most of that, as I've trying to get the hang of heel and toe in my VX.

As a bit of a noob, why does it look like he's really slow coming off the clutch, for example at 1.15?

Well spotted Dan, he's actually not timing his H&Ts there very well, the first one 4th to 3rd not at all. He blips then slowly bring the clutch back up which you hear 're-revs' the engine.

We did work a lot on H&T with regard to timing as Jimmy was generally too late with his blip and downchange. I'm pretty sure he is still nervous of it at this stage and as many drivers who dont heel & toe do, he 'eases' the clutch up to minimise the snatch.

In a RWD car you want to blip and change down really early, such that when you re-engae the clutch you are close to maximum revs in the gear you are going into. This has the effect of 'engine' or 'compression' braking which is particularly useful in RWD as it helps slow thr car and 'flattens out' the braking. All cars brake mostly with the front tyres so very little weight is over the rear (not unusual to see a rear wheel off the ground if also turning slightly whilst braking). The engine braking 'brakes' the rear wheels so you can brake harder and with more stability whilst turning.

It's not 'hard' on the engine, it's no different then being at max revs in a gear and coming off the gas. The reason you do it early is that a car slows more when you lift off at 7,000rpm than it does at 5,000 rpm.

Maxx

Turbos.
So is that overall winner? Pretty impressive, as wasn't that Gallagher guy in his spaceframe Focus in this, or am i way behind with that series?

Anyway, must feel incredible in a straight line! Got to argue there is more time there considering he has 600bhp and i didn't see any oversteer!

Maxx, do you know Justin Yates per chance? Guy has a yellow Aeon GT3, big into his bikes, think he has mentioned Jimmy before...

Arctic Blue FF 182
Sweet little video. I recognise the car and name, is it a 2.2N/A with a supercharge conversion? Do you have a VX too?

Lotus Elise
So is that overall winner? Pretty impressive, as wasn't that Gallagher guy in his spaceframe Focus in this, or am i way behind with that series?

Anyway, must feel incredible in a straight line! Got to argue there is more time there considering he has 600bhp and i didn't see any oversteer!

Time Attack is split into Categories, dont really have the concept of an overall winner. First there is Pro and Club then within those there is 4WD, FWD and RWD, Jimmy won the Club RWD Championship.

Maxx

Lotus Elise
Maxx, do you know Justin Yates per chance? Guy has a yellow Aeon GT3, big into his bikes, think he has mentioned Jimmy before...

Name doesn't ring a bell, Jimmy has quite a big following if the various 'poppers by' on the test day was anything to go by, they do have more razamataz about the series than most 'race' series.

Maxx

Lotus Elise
Sweet little video. I recognise the car and name, is it a 2.2N/A with a supercharge conversion? Do you have a VX too?

As far as I know yes, not too sure on horsepower but will ask.

I dont have a VX no. I do have an Elise S2 with Honda Type-R engine conversion though, N/A and gives about 210bhp.

Maxx

Last edited:
  Arctic Blue FF 182
As far as I know yes, not too sure on horsepower but will ask.

I dont have a VX no. I do have an Elise S2 with Honda Type-R engine conversion though, N/A and gives about 210bhp.

Maxx

O kl. Think it is the VX I'm thinking of. You wouldn't know if it has had some work done at Hofmanns motorsport do you? It's where I work, pretty sure it's a car I know of.
Not tempted to supercharge your Honda lump?

Great little cars, love working on them and driving them! Hopefully get one at some point!

Lotus Elise
O kl. Think it is the VX I'm thinking of. You wouldn't know if it has had some work done at Hofmanns motorsport do you? It's where I work, pretty sure it's a car I know of.
Not tempted to supercharge your Honda lump?

Great little cars, love working on them and driving them! Hopefully get one at some point!

I think you have the right one, Jimmy knows Chris and he was a great help to him when getting his car setup to take on Time Attack.

Supercharge my Honda? Nooooo, when I was looking for a Honda Elise a few years ago there were two I was interested in, one was supercharged already and I even enquired how much it would cost to remove it as I didnt want a supercharged one, as it was I bought this one which came as N/A.

Yes they will give you more power but even the best supercharger installation will dull throttle response (not just on, but off). I can hear all the S/C guys now saying "no it doesn't, mines instant" but although not hugely noticablke it IS there and it's that immediacy of throttle response both when I add power and even more importantly when I come off the power is very important to me. The throttle pedals doesnt just control the go and the slow but also the weight shift front to rear, add power it goes rearward, take it off and it goes forward and the speed and intensity of how that happens is important when at racing speeds/grip levels.

Maxx

Arctic Blue FF 182
O good. Nice to see it's doing well then. Is there a bright orange VX floating around, pretty sure it was Jimmy's mate maybe.

Thats fair enough, not everything is about the power as you say. The handling and feel of the vehicle is potentially far more important. Decent entry and exit speeds are quite often going to out way being able to go balls out down the straight with more power

Lotus Elise
O good. Nice to see it's doing well then. Is there a bright orange VX floating around, pretty sure it was Jimmy's mate maybe.

Yes, there were 2 there on the day, one with a huge rear wing on it that was a lot more powerful than Jimmy's, was a mate of his Max.

Maxx

Astra GSI, 172, Golf

will probably be a paddle clutch anyways... so will be pretty much on or of.. so wouldnt matter if he was abit slower or rested his foot on it

Arctic Blue FF 182
Yes, there were 2 there on the day, one with a huge rear wing on it that was a lot more powerful than Jimmy's, was a mate of his Max.

Maxx
Yup, thats the one, knew his name was Max. Partly why I asked if you had one considering your username.haha It's a big wing isn't it!