ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hot to for Alternator Removal and Replacement? - Mk2 Ph2 1.6

MK2 PH2 & E46 330
So my alternator decided to blow itself to bits tonight. The mechanism has failed and the belt is already loose.

After doing some reading I need to disconnect the battery, then remove the headlight and slam panel if I can. Will this give me enough room to unbolt it and remove it?
I've not taken one off before so any guides or advice is helpful.

MK2 PH2 & E46 330
I ended up removing the front bumper to get the old one out. The pulley had come out and snapped a little bit on the edge. I'm wondering if it would be easier to replace the pulley than get a new alternator?

MK2 PH2 & E46 330
Thanks chapster but I already have something sorted.

Does anyone have access to a guide that shows how the belt should go and how to tighten it etc? This is the first time I've fitted one up.

MK2 PH2 & E46 330
I don't have a VIN number to hand, but its a MK2 PH2 1.6. Even if someone has a diagram of the way the belts go round the pulleys it would be a start. Then I just need to know how to get it to the right tension?

MK2 PH2 & E46 330
Im TOTALLY stuck... .

I got the alternator and a new belt. Now I can't figure out what I need to loosen to get it back on there.
I found this diagram which seems to make sense for the way my belt should go.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The thing I can assume to be the tensioner is held on with 2x13 mm bolts. It might be an auto tensioner?
Do I just remove this completely then try my best to get it back on once the alternator is back in place? Or do I try and lever up the alternator with the belt still on the pulley to try and bolt that on instead?

This is what the tensioner looks like...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any help would be awesome.

MK2 PH2 & E46 330
Thanks Nick but I think thats a different engine to mine. I have a 2002 Mk2 Ph2 1.6. From what I gather its a K4M engine with aircon?

CB1D is your vehicle type,

Its still opening that same document though matey. The only other Alternator documents are how to take the pulley off the alternator and part codes?

Nick

Google comes up with this if its any good

{56036B97-21D9-4F22-BC6B-A8FBC494B0DF}.jpg

Last edited:
  MK2 PH2 & E46 330
My alternator mounts perpendicular to that. Its exactly like that crappy diagram I posted.

I couldnt figure this out for the life of me.