ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hot steering column again

Clio Trophy
Has anybody found the source of the creeking steering wheel on the 182 / trophy when the car is very hot from being left in sun. Has anybody actualy got it rectified and know what the problem was. I dont want to take it in unless its a simple to sort job.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
I havent got this on the Trophy, but did have it on my mk2 172 and never got it resolved as much as it annoyed me.

Renault did look at it once and told me it was caused by the wiper / indicator stalk assembly and that replacing that would fix it. I think basically its related to the mechanism that cancels the indicator when the wheel centers.

I traded the car in for the Trophy before i got round to taking it back to them to fix.

350Z and 172 Cup
I bought a 172 a couple of weeks ago and have the same problem. Really annoying. Not so bad if you turn your music up.

mine used to creak occasionaly when on near full lock. when i changed the steering column i managed to burst the rubber grommet that goes around the steering column under the dash and it hasn't creaked since.
might not be your problem but all the same worth a look

Chocolate Bar™
mine on my 1.2 used to creak like buggery when turning the wheel slowly, but renault fixed it under warranty. they were crap at explaining what they'd done, but did point out replacing rubber seals. god knows where.

Trophy 265/500
Mine does it. I ignore it as it's only when it's quite hot. I take it as a sign that summer is here!