ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hot Engine Misfire

Clio 172
Not to sure where to start with this problem, for the last couple of weeks I have had a misfire with the engine, it only happens when the engine gets hot, say going out for a drive, then letting the car sit for 5min where engine heat can build up, and then starting the engine again which will start a misfire, but if you let the engine cool down by opening the bonnet, then the misfire go's away and the car drives fine.

But what is making this a real pain in the ass to diagnose is there are no fault code coming back from the car, even when the emission light comes on. I have changed Leads, Spark Plugs, Lambada Sensor, and 4 new Injectors, and a new Coolant Sensor yesterday because my radiator fan stopped working, but I'm still getting a misfire from the engine when hot.

Any members here got any ideas because I'm running out of solutions?

Clio 172
The only thing I found yesterday when I checked the spark plugs, one of the plugs seemed to have a discoloured insulator, but the tip looked fine so I'm not too sure what to make of that.

u4WkMzU.jpg

Clio 172
Did that before I put them back.

I just went out for a drive, and when the engine got hot it started misfiring, but this time I had the fault code reader plugged in, and even with the emission light flashing, I still cannot get any error codes from the bloody car.

Clio 172
Did that before I put them back.

I just went out for a drive, and when the engine got hot it started misfiring, but this time I had the fault code reader plugged in, and even with the emission light flashing, I still cannot get any error codes from the bloody car.

Really, would that not bring up a fault code of some kind. I also get a engine start problem when it's hot, but I have also changed the Crank Sensor which did not solve the problem.

Last edited:
  Clio 172
I think I might have found the problem, that discoloured spark plug got taken out today and replaced with a working old one I had laying about, and the car seemed to drive good, I took it out for a drive over to Brands, then stop at the little car park at the top of the hill, let the car rest for 5min for the heat to build up and I did not get a misfire at all, and then repeated this again on the way home, fingers crossed, I might have fixed the problem.