ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Horn wiring in steering wheel

RS172
Guys,

Looks like I'm missing a wire that connects into the steering wheels to connect the horn up.
i currently have a wire with a red plastic tubular piece of plastic, but looks like I'm missing a clip perhaps on the end?
Was on a OMP steering wheel so cannot work out what I'm missing.

Pluged and fiddled with air bag but light is still on also, any particular faults it could be?
Second hand wheel from eBay.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Pictures are going to be needed to sort this out.

horn has a connector block on the end. Red and black wires going to it if I remember correctly

RS172
image.jpg - this is the horn wire attached guys, any ideas?

clio dci , ren8
Your missing a wire as there should be 2 coming from the snap ring both then go on the gray connector to the top left of your pic

RS172
Yeah that's what I thought - should I run a red & black from the crimp, or split the wire into to and wire that way. I'm putting the OMP steering wheel back on as I'm having trouble with the airbag lights anyway so ill just resistor them.
Or is there a connecter I plug into the red crimp for the block on the steering wheel?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
If you have a look at one of the below picture you will be able to see which plugs you are missing. You're completely missing the bottom right grey plug. It's probably easiest if you just get a new squib unless you can salvage the connector from a broken one and solder them on. Fairly easy and I've done it before. You are definitely missing the red wire though.

$_58.jpg

RS172
Is the bottom left the horn wires?
I'm guessing it's easier to see what's going on if I take the cowling off and see, is that picture the front or back of the squib?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
No the bottom right grey plug. The bottom left is only used if you have a horn button on the end of the indicator stalk.

RS172
Right ok - I'm going to have to pull it all out and look what's going on really.... No idea why there's only one wire really, only thing I can think of is thAt the wire I can see is not actually the horn wires I'm after.

RS172
Nice one thanks bud - I take it all my stalks will fit with that fine - is it a fiddly job or rather straightforward? Not taken one apart on a clio before.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
2 t10 torx screws for each stalk, then they slide out. You'll see what I mean when you have it apart. Should take no longer than 20 minutes to change a squib.

There's a zinc plated band which holds the squib to the steering column.