ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Horn broked, how to remove the thing behind the wheel

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Ok I've searched and given up. I changed my wheel to a Momo the other day, connected up the horn exactly how I thought it should be, and something shorted out somewhere, it didn't like it. Now my horn doesn't work. The fuse is still intact. I want to trace the wiring back through the column, what tool do I use to remove the big plastic thing directly behind the steering wheel? It looks just like a security Torx with the little pin in the middle, but they don't fit! What do I need? And am I barking up the correct tree?

Cheers me dears....

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Are you 100% sure the fuse is ok?

Nick - Horn on ph2 is on the steering wheel.

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Are you 100% sure the fuse is ok?

Nick - Horn on ph2 is on the steering wheel.

Well this confused me too, why on earth would something else blow before the fuse, defeats the object of the fuse imo. I only visually checked it, so will put a new one in and try again.

Clio
Try and check the connector on the horn. Sometimes mine comes loose and stops working for some reason.

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
I've had all the wheel etc and the column covers off, definately nothing quite that simple unfortunately. :(

BMW M135I
[NickW];5507380 said:
Try and check the connector on the horn. Sometimes mine comes loose and stops working for some reason.

+1 mine was in an acccident and stopped working, just needed a quick re- position and it started working again, but still stopped working after but after driving hard it works again now lol , but yea check the connection to the horn

v6
Bump

Did you have any luck with this?

I've just fitted a mom boss and shorted my horn too! Again the fuse is intact but there's no voltage getting to the horn button (checked using a multimeter).

182 cup
ha this happened to me too, and the horn would sound when ever it felt like it. Rather embarassing when your in a traffic jam. I ended taking the fuse out and will sort it when i have the time to

Trophy 459
Any luck with this fitted a sparco wheel with a momo boss the spring on the back of the horn push started to smoke now no power to the horn or the fuse 15amp are there any other fueses it goes through need the horn for the MOT should have left it alone!!!

v6
Any luck with this fitted a sparco wheel with a momo boss the spring on the back of the horn push started to smoke now no power to the horn or the fuse 15amp are there any other fueses it goes through need the horn for the MOT should have left it alone!!!

There's only one fuse. I replaced the whole stalk assembly which fixed the problem. The stalks detach from the main unit so a second hand one from any spec clio (with airbag) will work as just need to swap over your stalks to it.

If you've got a multimeter test whether you're getting any voltage prior to the wire going into the stalk assembly, if you are then you're problem lies in there. It was easy to take the plastic cowl of the steering column (upper and lower parts) then iirc you can fairly easily see the path of the horn wires.

v6
The wiring diagram was very simple:

Battery -> Fuse -> Switch (horn button) -> Horn(s) -> Earth.

I'm not that good with electrics but assume you need a full circuit to get a live value anywhere. Firstly I'd remove the button from the equation, i.e. directly connect the wire from the fuse to the horn and see if that works. I did have a very poor earth on mine as well, horn still worked though sounded pisch