ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Honda Civic Type R (2007) vs. 197 Cup.

Shed.
Just been to test drive them both.

Clio is a toy car, crappy interior, but looks fantastic and has plenty of torque. Very grounded to the road and a stiff ride. Seems to pull through the rev range very well. Ok to drive sensibly.

CTR GT is a grown-up car, ace interior , looks fantastic altho im not sure if its as good as the clio, has lots of torque but not as much as the clio. More comfortable ride altho im suprised how stiff the suspension is compared to the amount of body roll it has, good round corners, nice to drive sensibly. 8,500 rpm is magical :D Sounds fantastic and theres loads of fun to be had outside of Vtec, dont know why people slate the engine and i will never look down upon a Vtec again.

Both are fast. Ive got plenty of saving to do in the mean time lol. Tough desicion between them both but i think id prefer the CTR to the clio.

Did own 172 Cup + 182FF
You just drove both and think they have lots of torque!!? Have to agree about the Honda sound. They do sound good for a 4 pot engine

Shed.
No i mean a long lasting debate. About how the clio has more, and also how that turbo'd cars produce much more and also that diesles are insane and the new Diesel R8 V12 has yet more. etc etc etc.

Shed.
new.... Clio cup is 15k ish with black alloys and air con, 18-19k for the ctr GT.

Dont want to buy a brand new one anyway. Ctr's are at 15k already and the r27's are 12-13k.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
new.... Clio cup is 15k ish with black alloys and air con, 18-19k for the ctr GT.

Dont want to buy a brand new one anyway. Ctr's are at 15k already and the r27's are 12-13k.

You can get a brand new one (197 cup) for about £13k basic

Shed.
Ah well i aint buying yet. Besides i think id end up with the R27, if i could afford it at the time i might go for the ctr.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
CTR is an awful looking car imo.

Never driven one though so can't comment on drive. Looks alone i'd have the 197.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
the 197 is alot betterlooking. it doesn't look fat or like a space ship. interior wise the civic has the 197 pwned imo. the 197 is faster :eek: hehe

BB TUNED 182 (220BHP)
Id have to go for the new civic but it would have to be the red GT inc the fogs aircon and so on,

I think its one of the few cars that wont start to look dated in the next two or so years,

Have you not thought abot a Focus ST2-ST3 again you can pick them up for 12.5-15K And is the quickest out of all three.

RS Clio 172 Ph1
Would be a difficult decision. Honda had never had a recall on a Vtec unit, technically brilliant, will last forever. Clio Cup got the edge on the looks and is probably more fun if being used like it's supposed to but will be falling apart in a year or so. Bugger, probably end up with the Golf GTi Mk5!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Id have to go for the new civic but it would have to be the red GT inc the fogs aircon and so on,

I think its one of the few cars that wont start to look dated in the next two or so years,

Have you not thought abot a Focus ST2-ST3 again you can pick them up for 12.5-15K And is the quickest out of all three.

But the Civic is not in the same class as the Clio. Nor is the Focus.

Focus, Civic are more Megane Cars.

Shed.

I wouldnt drive a ford if you pointed a gun in my face mate.

Tough desicion tbh. Like i said, both outweigh the other. both have some fantastic characteristics and some downfalls.

But the sound of that vtec :eek: clio does sound good tho, civic does seem to pull better than the clio but the clio seems to have more grunt, but i didnt get to really thrash it as i wasnt alowed to choose my route, where as the honda dealer said i was alowed to go wherever was best for me, so i really got to thrash the thing. I might put it off for another 24 months, give me a chance to build up another years NCb. That way i can buy the car out right. Plenty of time to decide.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

But the Civic is not in the same class as the Clio. Nor is the Focus.

Focus, Civic are more Megane Cars.

Exactly. And the R26 walks all over them pace wise.

BB TUNED 182 (220BHP)
All fair points, I like the civic as its differant so stands out alot. plus its bigger never been a problem for me in the past but now we have our first littlen its somthing i look at alot.

Daniel true civic and focus are more the megane class another great car,

Ill also be buying one of these for cars soon so keep the comments coming intresting to see hear peoples thoughts!

RenaultSport clio 182
I've driven both of these and actually borrowed a CTR for a weekend last year. While I did enjoy the CTR, it's only really fun at quite high speeds. I did find it a little nose heavy in terms of handling. Normal driving was quite boring and what really surprised me is that I became slightly embarrassed at the over the top looks of it when just going to the shops etc. When giving it some beans though the engine is magic, with a great noise. Amazing engine, my 182 felt broken when I got back into it!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Sorry, but you would have to be drunk on the test drive to think the CTR rides better than the 197. I'm no great fan of the 197 (check my previous posts), but the CTR has bar none, the stiffest ride of any car I've driven. To paraphrase someone, the seatbelts are there to stop you bouncing out of the windows.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
i think the ctr looks pish, interiors are quite cool tho. im sure its a good car, and wouldnt doubt the reliability, even tho my old ep3 needed a top end rebuild at 6k miles! ;)

id get a nearly new 197

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
Think Honda are sort of piggy-backing off the success of the last Type R with this one. Have they not gone to a solid rear beam with this generation? Big step back from the multilink system on the last one (yes I'm well aware that my 172 has a large poorly located solid rear beam before you all start...). The latest one's all a bit 2fast2furious for me. Would much prefer a DC2/DC5 if I was going Honda.

My next car's hopefully going to be a RenaultSport Megane.