ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home Server...?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've finally finished speccing my N40L up.

HP N40L
8GB Memory
LG DVDRW
1 x 500GB HDD
3 x 2TB HDDs
XFX 6450 1GB

Running Server 2008 R2

IMG_2153.gif

IMG_2155.gif

AK

M240i
Screwed it into the rear of the case, yeah.

When the tray is out it wobbles like hell though..

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Does it engage with the lock on the PCI-E slot? Mine does and it could be yours doesn't.

DCi
does anyone know of a mini itx case/psu combo (or just psu) that is fanless?

my mobo has that 20 pin connector on it (so internal psu) but im guessing i'd have to change to a mobo that uses an external power pack type adapter (i.e. with the circular socket - not sure of technical term)

wondering if it's do able with a 20 pin socket though because then my htpc would have no moving parts :cool:

AK

M240i
Meh, not a major issue actually. Once my Raspberry PI comes the GFX card will be redundant.

I was going to purchase an N40L just after christmas but kept putting it off, finally picked one up last week for £219 and £100 cash back considering the offer is still on until the end of April. I've ran an old crappy 600mhz box stacked up with all sorts of different sized IDE drives for the past 5-6 years, with numerous drive failures and power supplies its carried on - ran Ubuntu since the beginning.

I've binned off the 250gb drive for use elsewhere and just put two 1tb's in for now. Il probably purchase a couple more when the prices come down further. Flashed the BIOS to the 'custom' release thats out, allowing the full use of the internal SATA port for another HDD if I ever want that many. Upgraded the RAM to 8gb.

Running ESXi5 from a pen drive on the internal USB port. Created a few VM's, Ubuntu and Windows, all running smoothly and quick for what it is! Now the task of copying all the data over...... :sleepy:

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've just got CCTV up and running on mine using a Y-Cam and Vitamin D, I've also ordered the HP remote access card so I can power it up remotely if required.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I use Windows 7 Pro for my home server. the reason i dont run a server edition is becasue I use W7MC to all the rooms in my house. It also runs my websites, email server, backups, fileshares, VPN and cctv. Its running an AMD X2 64bit processor (cant rememebr the exact model as its a while ago I built it), 4gb of RAM, with about 4TB of HDD space. It does everything I need it to do without problems.

Rav4
I've just got CCTV up and running on mine using a Y-Cam and Vitamin D, I've also ordered the HP remote access card so I can power it up remotely if required.

do you have a pic of the setup, would be interested in doing similar, which y-cam did you go for? Good stuff :)

Rav4
I use Windows 7 Pro for my home server. the reason i dont run a server edition is becasue I use W7MC to all the rooms in my house. It also runs my websites, email server, backups, fileshares, VPN and cctv. Its running an AMD X2 64bit processor (cant rememebr the exact model as its a while ago I built it), 4gb of RAM, with about 4TB of HDD space. It does everything I need it to do without problems.

Are you using a TV tuner too with it? I think you might be using the NL360. How are you serving W7MC, do you have xbox's in the other rooms?

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
I have a Synology DS211 NAS running in "hybrid RAID" 2 x 2TB WD drives. It's got Sickbeard and SABnzbd installed (can take a bit of time to get that set up). It's scheduled to turn on at 3:30pm weekdays and turns itself off at 3am. It picks up all my scheduled TV shows that aired in the States and they're done and sorted by the time I get home from work. I then play it through my WD TV Live hub (1TB). The Synology NAS's are great but to run Sickbeard ideally you need to go for a DS211 minimum. I think the newer models are powerful enough to play HD files directly via DLNA but for file compatibility and to ease the burden on the processor I use the WDTV for the playing side of things.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Are you using a TV tuner too with it? I think you might be using the NL360. How are you serving W7MC, do you have xbox's in the other rooms?

Yes I have 6 TV tunners: 4 for Freeview, 2 for DVB-S2. I have 2 xbox's, one of which is shared and controllable from all the rooms.

DCi
Noob question - why so many and what is dvb s2 (in basic terms)

I know 1 use for extra tuners is recording more than 1 chan at once, any other reasons? I'm a htpc noob :(

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Noob question - why so many and what is dvb s2 (in basic terms)

I know 1 use for extra tuners is recording more than 1 chan at once, any other reasons? I'm a htpc noob :(

As multiple clients connect to the server (can be 2 xbox's at a time in my case), it means both users can record one thing and watch another channel each. The DVB-S2 cards are satellite cards and are mainly for the HD channels (I got them before Freeview HD was availible), and one is setup to use USAULS with a H-H motor so I can get other FTA channels from other satellites besides 28.2e!

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Output of the camera and software setup, you filming the garage from indoors?

Good toys.

The software can be seen here: http://www.vitamindinc.com/ (the turorial videos show quite a lot of the functionality)

The free version is actually pretty good and will allow you to use 1 camera for free albeit at a lower resolution, but even the 2 camera full res version is only £30.

I have it monitoring the inside of the garage yes, so if anyone breaks in I'll get an e-mail alert straight to my iPhone with pictures from the feed.

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
If the server isn't on ( or there has been a power-cut for example ) I can remotely connect to it and switch it on. It also has a KVM feature so I can enter the BIOS etc remotely also.

Bumder With A Buffer
Doesn't it have an internal lan connection already?

Couple of the PC's I use 15 miles away have a remote turn on feature...I'm guessing the proliants don't have that "built in" so to speak?

I need to start whazzing the hell out of my new house now, want to be able to stream movies on demand in either the livingroom or bedrooms (3 bedrooms) as well as record anything each of those rooms is watching. Also want to be able to stream music into the kitchen, living room and the garage, as well as have CCTV going.

Go cry to your momma!
I sold my N40L last week, bloody hated WHS2011. Tried numerous different NAS OS's and they all sucked..unRAID, freeNAS, openmediavault etc.
I'm sure WHS is great with windows clients but trying to configure NFS and get TimeMachine going was breaking me lol.

Ended up splashing £510 on the new Synology DS412+, I've been a Qnap user for about 3 years so though I'd switch to the other side.

Rav4
I sold my N40L last week, bloody hated WHS2011. Tried numerous different NAS OS's and they all sucked..unRAID, freeNAS, openmediavault etc.
I'm sure WHS is great with windows clients but trying to configure NFS and get TimeMachine going was breaking me lol.

Ended up splashing £510 on the new Synology DS412+, I've been a Qnap user for about 3 years so though I'd switch to the other side.

QNAP offer horrible support. Nice devices but support is shocking.

I like synology devices, they are good. I bought an employee of ours a 712+ and he likes it.

The N40L is a great bit of kit, you should have kept that. OpenFiler and FreeNas provide NFS quite nicely, but anyway, that is done now.

You'll like the synology device.

The 412+ has dual LAN I believe, quite handy. As well as it's a 4 bay, so that is good.

Enjoy

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Doesn't it have an internal lan connection already?

Couple of the PC's I use 15 miles away have a remote turn on feature...I'm guessing the proliants don't have that "built in" so to speak?

They have wake on lan, but this car that he has installed allows for much more than just "wake on lan", it allows you to watch the computer boot, enter the bios, etc. A lot of these card also offer a better form of RDP access to the computer thats hardware based.

Clio 172
Sound isn't an issue because it will be going in a sound insulated half rack in my loft (along with everything else).

Software I use MythTV PVR Software (www.mythtv.org).

Yes, HD costs aren't the best at the moment.. that's why I'm holding back. If you are running win 2008 r2 you can just use data deduplication. It's built in IIRC.

Haven't had a chance to look to see if there is a Linux equivalent yet.

Pic of said rack? (I'm a data engineer so love stuff like this! Haha)

Iv been toying with the idea of a home server for a little while! For a little while I was using an old pc I found laying around, but ended up completely dieing (wasn't worth saving tbh) so I dumped the idea.

Reading on the proliant micro server has got me in the mood for a home server again. Not to sure what I will do network wise, ideally I want the server out of the way and not in my room.

Where do others put theirs? Others are using the attic, which sounds good to me. Currently I have the modem and wireless netgear router downstairs, with 2 cat6 cables to my room from the router. With a edimax (excess stuff from a job! Got another layin around!) patched into the router, and all my stuff patched into the switch (easiest way as I am always having mates around plugging pcs in lol)

Can't get rid of the router as everyone uses wifi, but it can't stay there same as the modem.

Bear with me while I brainstorm aloud, and a bit of advice? Seeing as others have done it before! Will defo relocate the modem, to the attic maybe? Or some cupboard, along with the switch, and mount it all in a 6U cab (got countless amounts of the f*****s in my van!!!), run cat6 everywhere I need it, and put the router in a cupboard with a cat6 link to the switch. Although, we has cable broadband, last time I tried plugging the router into the switch there was no internet through wifi, but didn't play around - maybe scrap this for a cisco AP I have somewhere.

Then proliant in the cab, possibly a NAS . Will defo use a RAID setup though. Will run WHS I think, although have 2008 r2 laying around which was given to me.

How does that sound? Mainly will use it for media streaming and backing up. This will be my little baby for a while I think. Just need the CAT6 and a rack, and order the server!

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've just ordered some 2 x 8GB memory for the N40L as apparently it can take it.

I've also ordered a HP ML110 G7 for a bit more CPU power, I'll probably switch to this as the main machine and have the N40L as secondary.

AK

M240i
Is it possible to have some speakers plugged direct into the HP unit?

Ideally I want speakers that can be on whilst the telly isn't on XBMC.

For music, as I can control what's being played on the iPad.