ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home Server...?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Decided to go with 2008 R2, I'd rather have a domain and I can't see me ever using media features.

500bhp Scoob
Currently got a server in the loft which has 2 2.8ghz xeon cpu's,2gig of ram,4x 3tb HD's for storing my stuff and 4x36gb scsi drives in raid as an OS/swap drive
Its currently running on Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS, and runs a combination of sabnzbd, sickbeard, couchpotato and headphones, aswell as forked-daapd (central itunes library)
I shall also be using it as a storage area for my CCTV recordings once I get the network ip cameras sorted out

Its totally overkill, with its 2 hotswap psu's and dual cpu's with hyperthreading, but I was given it, so I'm making sure its put to good use :)

It serves both my HTPC's in the bedroom and living room, a web browsing pc for the missus and the kids,and also an old p2 in the dining room/kitchen as a mp3 jukebox

And the missus doesn't see it so its even better!

I was trying to run windows server 2003 on it, but I struggled to find any solution to running 3tb drives on it without proprietary software, and running ubuntu server was free, and has also helped me grasp the whole linux environment alot better

Currently got a server in the loft which has 2 2.8ghz xeon cpu's,2gig of ram,4x 3tb HD's for storing my stuff and 4x36gb scsi drives in raid as an OS/swap drive
Its currently running on Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS, and runs a combination of sabnzbd, sickbeard, couchpotato and headphones, aswell as forked-daapd (central itunes library)
I shall also be using it as a storage area for my CCTV recordings once I get the network ip cameras sorted out

Its totally overkill, with its 2 hotswap psu's and dual cpu's with hyperthreading, but I was given it, so I'm making sure its put to good use :)

It serves both my HTPC's in the bedroom and living room, a web browsing pc for the missus and the kids,and also an old p2 in the dining room/kitchen as a mp3 jukebox

And the missus doesn't see it so its even better!

I was trying to run windows server 2003 on it, but I struggled to find any solution to running 3tb drives on it without proprietary software, and running ubuntu server was free, and has also helped me grasp the whole linux environment alot better

Whey hey! A blast from the past. The sky man.

I'm going to relocate my microserver in the loft once I get 10 minutes to myself. Do you have a loft conversion i.e. a proper room or is it in a dusty loft? I'm a tad worried about the heat in ours come summer. Have you had any problems?

500bhp Scoob
Was a sky man, now I drive trains...

The loft was half converted when we moved, it's been boarded and joists moved etc but it's still a bit dusty,but it's what I'd call heavy dust, it doesn't get everywhere, it just settles on the deck.
I just put in a bank of sockets as the wiring for the ring main was there, even down to the consumer box. It just needed connecting up.

This time of year its absolutely freezing up there and it's fine, was fine in the summer too, should hope so with the amount of fans inside my box.

I find it so handy just to load MyNZB on my iPhone and just queue stuff up remotely to sabnzbd, has totally changed the way I acquire 'stuff'

500bhp Scoob
Just got myself into the loft for some bits so took a quick picture of my server, I believe it's an intel sc5200 chassis
5eaf9bf8-ba60-3ff3.jpg

That looks well tidy. Cheers for the pic.

Will stick mine up there with a wireless thermometer to monitor things.

500bhp Scoob
That looks well tidy. Cheers for the pic.

Will stick mine up there with a wireless thermometer to monitor things.

Far from tidy up there! Lol.
It's on a cheap old computer desk I had laying about, with a load of carpet offcuts to cut down any vibration and noise travelling through the ceilings below (it was bad beforehand)

As for the BSOD... It's Linux lol, just directory listing of my main downloads folder.
I don't often go up there to work on it, mainly do it through ssh and webmin

Ph2 Clio 172
Typical. Just as HDD prices stabalize at the highest level they have been for years, I need to add another couple of TB to my server :(

Rav4
Nice.

Love the Microservers, hate my ReadyNas NVX, it's TOO loud.

Doing anything fancy?

Good setup.

G.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Only just got the server and am waiting on the arrival of the rest of the memory, it's also only got 1 x 250GB drive atm, probably going to order a 2TB to go in it to get started off with then decide what I'm going to do with it. The server and the NAS are both whisper quiet.

That looks like mine Gareth!

Keep the us updated on what you do with it. All mine does is serve media and I rdp into it from work o surf the net/pick up files remotely.

Would be interested in how server 2008 works on one. Did try Ubuntu server on my old desktop but wanted to remote in to surf the net so didn't bother with it on the microserver.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I don't think they are going to come down anytime soon, a 2TB fairly soon will do me, I won't need another for some time after that.

Rav4
Ah cool.

My colleague just bought a synlogy 712+ and 2 x 3TB drives @ £155 each (YIKES), as well as a Mac Mini, 64GB SSD and 8GB of RAM, going to use it as a media centre.

The MicroServer is great, I have a boxed one at work (the older one) which I am going to use with my 2 x ML110 G6's for a VmWare lab.

The other great thing about the MicroServer is that you can put a tuner in there too :)

DCi
I've been adding and adding to my stuff that all the cabling is a total mess.
I think saturdays job is to sort it all out.
I'm also thinking of putting my NAS up in the loft and running cat 5 down to my room, whilst I'm there I found 2 speakers so I could run the wires up and over the ceiling to wall mount them at the back of the room...

Rav4
I've been adding and adding to my stuff that all the cabling is a total mess.
I think saturdays job is to sort it all out.
I'm also thinking of putting my NAS up in the loft and running cat 5 down to my room, whilst I'm there I found 2 speakers so I could run the wires up and over the ceiling to wall mount them at the back of the room...

Can't have that many cables, surely?

How you going to run the cable down?

Make sure if you're drilling through, that you don't go through any pipes/cabling, very easy to do !!

G.

DCi
I have 3x 4 socket extension leads that are full so there is 12 plugs for a start. It's just a tip and needs sorting!!

I'm going to mount the extensions to the back of my desk so you cant see them and it should clear most of the clutter.

I've not looked at where the cable run is going to go yet. I'm going to go up in the loft and pull boards up to see what I can see, I know there are sockets up there I can't remember where though so I'll see if I've got enough cat5 to get it back down to my switch.

Cupra
I've just scored an old C2D small form PC from work and want to use it as a server at home for backups/ DLNA at home, and also to be able to remotely access the network from outside of the house.

Whats the best option? 2008 R2 or WHS 2011?
Any decent addins that I should look into?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I found WHS too restricted and virtually every decent add-on you have to pay for, I therefore went with 2008 R2.

Cupra
I installed WHS this evening to have a play. Will try 2008 tomorrow on a second drive.

Not sure I need Domain/ DNS/ DHCP etc.

AK

M240i
Its currently running on Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS, and runs a combination of sabnzbd, sickbeard, couchpotato and headphones

This is what's currently running on my HP Microserver.

Need some more hard drives though.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yeah, Logitech's customer service is second to none as well. The backlight on the control panel went on the 1st set and they sent me out a complete replacement set, sold the original set on eBay for around £100.

Just bought and set up my server last night. One of those £230 HP Prolient jobbys with the £100 cash back.

Wacked on Ubuntu server edition, Plex and Samba - Got myself a fully functioning server that streams media/streams files to my phone/iPad anywhere in the world in under 3 hours. Well chuffed at the results!

Well worth the investment I say, going to set up a SMS message gateway on it next so I can pretend to send texts to anyone like that dailytxts website someone posted on here a while ago.

Cupra
Cheers! I am quite tempted to get one, as my current "server" only has one SATA drive and I have a load of old drives sat around doing nothing.... Cheap as chips too!
The only downside is that I'd have to get it shipped over here somehow as the offer is not in Holland.

Yeah ,it was from Ebuyer for £230 :) - loving it to be honest, just doing it for a little side project I can tinker about with really.

AK

M240i
Need some help from those of you using Ubuntu server, sick beard Sabnzbd etc.

My mate set my NAS up with the above, he's now un-contactable for the weekend.

He mapped network drives on my laptop for TV, Movies & Videos, which have the path \\nas\TV etc.

Problem is some downloads are going to \mnt\media\downloads at the moment (I know this as I can browse it on my NAS, which currently has a graphics card in it, for the time being), however I cannot access this through my laptop. I'm guessing I need to tell Ubuntu to share this directory first?

How do I do that?

:(

Go cry to your momma!
I'm so tempted to try an NL40, I just can't get my head around them. I understand the whole install and OS and then setup as required, but what's the score if the OS drive dies?

Currently I have a QNAP 4 bay NAS, if a drive dies, I can pop a new one in and the RAID 5 array will rebuild itself.
So on the HP, I'm guessing I'd use the included 250GB drive as the OS drive and my existing 4 drives in a RAID 5 array again.
What happens if the OS drive dies, how do you recover the system?

AK

M240i
Need some help from those of you using Ubuntu server, sick beard Sabnzbd etc.

My mate set my NAS up with the above, he's now un-contactable for the weekend.

He mapped network drives on my laptop for TV, Movies & Videos, which have the path \\nas\TV etc.

Problem is some downloads are going to \mnt\media\downloads at the moment (I know this as I can browse it on my NAS, which currently has a graphics card in it, for the time being), however I cannot access this through my laptop. I'm guessing I need to tell Ubuntu to share this directory first?

How do I do that?

:(

No one?

Excellent, in that case I can assume you can direct yourself to that directory in putty?

If so, download FileZilla, connect via sftp using the same details as you would over ssh.