ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home Internet Help :)

Tesla MP3 2021
Sweet. Thanks. Is the Linksys E4200 any good?

I don't need the best, I just want something that's decent and is supported by my Synology DSM4 web setup.

I had the E4200 and it started out great, amazing spec and did the job etc but after about 1 week I had an issue with Newsgroup traffic and it was throttling it back to about 50% and I nor Cisco could figure it out so I just sent it back to Amazon and got the N900 which I personally feel is a better router :)

Tesla MP3 2021
What are the benefits of that over the other one mate? I see it's dual band but that means nothing really.

It has a better wireless spec i.e Wireless N (rather than just G and B) which means devices that can use Wireless N i.e iPhone will have a faster wireless speed.

Also it has Simultaneous 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz which again will improve wireless speeds on compatible devices - for example a MBP or iPad 2 or the New iPad can use 5 GHz technology :)

Plus its a more modern, better looking router imo.

What it is saying that isn't supported... you got this list/details?

My NAS has an application called EZ-Web, for setting up external access via different protocols. It only works with supported routers. The Super Hub doesn't support this feature, so I've had to manually open FTP ports, and TBH I'm not sure I've done it right, as it's now stopped working (could VM have blocked port 21??)

The E4200 is on the list, so I thought it would be ideal, but you've put me off now :eek:

http://www.synology.com/support/router.php?lang=enu

EDIT: WNDR4000 is on the list. So N900 is a code name of sorts? Is it on my list?

Tesla MP3 2021
My NAS has an application called EZ-Web, for setting up external access via different protocols. It only works with supported routers. The Super Hub doesn't support this feature, so I've had to manually open FTP ports, and TBH I'm not sure I've done it right, as it's now stopped working (could VM have blocked port 21??)

The E4200 is on the list, so I thought it would be ideal, but you've put me off now :eek:

http://www.synology.com/support/router.php?lang=enu

Right ok, so yeah the N750 is there so at a guess it might have something to do with the Readshare feature on the N900 and the protocols it uses.

The E4200 is a cracking router and started off fine with me but as I say I had issues with Usenet traffic. Mine was probably just faulty which doesnt mean you would have the same issues.

Get it from Amazon so you can return it easily if you do have issues.

Tesla MP3 2021
WNDR4000 is the N750.... WNDR4500 is the N900 which isnt on that list as far as I can see.

OK thanks for your help. I think I'll get the Linksys E4200 then. Looks better than the NETGEAR s**t ;)

Again, sorry for the thread hijack!

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
The N900 is awesome. I used the shitty BE Thomson box and it was woeful, dropping off and my wireless speediest would come n at around 8mb. With the 900 it's not dropped off, ever. And my wireless speed test has increased to about 15mb. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Tesla MP3 2021
The N900 is awesome. I used the s**tty BE Thomson box and it was woeful, dropping off and my wireless speediest would come n at around 8mb. With the 900 it's not dropped off, ever. And my wireless speed test has increased to about 15mb. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Are you sure you got the N900 ?? ;)

FYI the Linksys E4200 is a great router. Really impressed with it so far. I did have some initial setup problems with my NAS, but that turned out to be my fault. Or rather not the router's fault

It's really good. Great looks, great build quality, flawless operation, nice OS-based GUI, easy to understand internal GUI, super fast. It also reboots in seconds. Love it.

Appreciate that not everyone wants to spend £120 on a router, but the benefits are clear.

Thanks Adam. Boosh, I hope you're new machine resolves your problems. I'm sure it will.

Tesla MP3 2021
No worries, glad you like it :)

Just keep your eye on your speeds when using usenet ;)

Yeah I'll keep an eye on that. As advised, I purchased it from Amazon, so should be painless to return it if necessary.

Big surprise was that my connection speed jumped to around 80mb on a 50mb package. WTF?? Think it's back to normal now. Maybe the Super Hub got super confused by only being a modem? :eek:

Tesla MP3 2021
I usually see around 110-115Mbps on my 100Mb connection and my speed hasnt been increased yet. I think using the SH in Modem mode with a decent router seems to get great speeds!

Though having read that new STM policy its pretty much killed the download speeds for us high rollers :(

Polo + Micra
i think they allocate bandwidth for overheads on VM

my 30Mb connection is set to 33000000bps in the modem

Tesla MP3 2021
Yeah I keep forgetting I have OpenVPN on my Giganews account as I have never really had to use it as I have been getting 100Mb+ all the time!

Also with Giganews.

Depending on the server I use, I find that hiding inside the VPN reduces my speeds a bit, but with the bonus that they stay constant and I don't get hit by STM.

So far at least :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
This all sounds extremely complex. Munson are you a hobbyist or are you in the IT industry?

Nope. I use L2TP/IPsec with NAT firewall.

So far it has always beaten VM's STM. As long as it's enabled before I connect to usenet.

Tesla MP3 2021
Nope. I use L2TP/IPsec with NAT firewall.

So far it has always beaten VM's STM. As long as it's enabled before I connect to usenet.

You should try OpenVPN, you should then see your speeds hit and stay at 50Mbps

So basically, if I add OpenVPN to my account, I'll get 100% full speed (within reason) and I don't have to reconfigure anything at my end?

Tesla MP3 2021
You'll have to install the OpenVPN app and apply a few settings but that's it, you will no longer need to use the if you have been so I would uninstall that first.

I have seen alot better, if not full speeds when on OpenVPN compared to the others.

Tesla MP3 2021
That was meant to say you will no longer need to use the Giganews app - bloody Tapatalk!

Tesla MP3 2021
Oh right ok, thought you were using it on a Windows machine.

In that case, you might find the OpenVPN app for Mac better to use over the OSX equivilant, have a look at the installation screen shots.