ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home cctv and phone apps? recommendations please!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I've heard good things about Hikvision cameras, certainly, they're a go-to brand for decent quality.

I've got unifi cameras, they're probably not as good as Hikvision and they cost more, but I went down that road and don't feel like replacing them as I'd then have to replace them all if I want them all visible in the same place, the unifi protect software doesn't support other cameras, so unless I replace everything it's not really worth doing, I don't think I'd get more quality for the cost.

I have a camera facing the front, one at the back and one in the shed where my tools are kept, there's additionally a camera in the lounge but that's purely just for checking that the dogs are ok.

All CCTV systems pretty much have the same issue that there are limitations of the optics and whether you'd be able to make out a license plate clearly or somebodies face at night.

Funnily enough though, when I mounted the first camera (front of the house) about 2 nights later I was looking at the footage just to see what was going on and a woman walked down our drive to our front door and then went back to our daughter's car and tried to unlock it, she couldn't so she went to our neighbour on the left and fried their care.

I posted a picture online in a neighbourhood group and one of our neighbours a couple of doors down contacted me to ask if I had footage, she'd got into their care and stole some stuff from it. A few other people on our road had also had their cars broken into. I gave him the footage and he passed it onto the police who knew who she was and I know they'd arrested her but I don't know what happened after that.

A couple of months back somebody on our road (down the other end) had his Mercedes stolen, so was asking for footage, he had a camera and it recorded the guy walking straight up to the car, unlocking it and driving off, like proper ballsy, he'd obviously done this before.

There was another car involved, but the number plate was not visible (and even if it was, I doubt it would have been of any use, either fake or a stolen car), I checked our footage and couldn't see anything of use.

He was kicking himself because the car had been for sale and the day previously somebody came to look at the car and seemed very interested in the keys, but the owner didn't think too much of it, he obviously has a device on him to capture the codes, obviously a very cool customer.

1630772490798.png

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
What are these like? Anyone had them?

Eufy much better imo no subscription and customer service is faulless if you but direct from them

Last edited:
  Cupra, Fiesta ST2
I want to put some camera up now, thinking of 1 each side of the house, 1 covering the front and maybe one at the rear. Ideally want motion detection along with remote access, ease of use is a must though. Am I best off going with the Eufy system? Or is there something better for the money?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I want to put some camera up now, thinking of 1 each side of the house, 1 covering the front and maybe one at the rear. Ideally want motion detection along with remote access, ease of use is a must though. Am I best off going with the Eufy system? Or is there something better for the money?

I have a eufy doorbell and camera and very impressed with them.

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
There is a deal on the 2C Pro on Amazon currently making them the same price as the regular 2C (£229) - seems like a great price.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
There is a deal on the 2C Pro on Amazon currently making them the same price as the regular 2C (£229) - seems like a great price.

Buy direct from eufy if you can (may well be them on amazon anker) back up and customer service is spot on!

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
Bought some Eufy 2C Pros - very easy to get set up. Only issue I did have was to mount some on a wooden block to get a better coverage.

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
What are these like? Anyone had them?

Got the Arlo 2 Pro and its good, but as others have said Eufy is as good and no subscription. Eufy didn't exist when I got mine, else i would have gone with them. Just brought parents an Eufy set and they are very happy.

I need to replace an existing camera. I have been using a cheapy wifi camera with SD card and mobile app to view both live and recordings. It’s done the job to a reasonable standard. The infrared lighting has now failed hence time for a replacement. I don't want to pay more than a couple of hundred quid, so I'm ruling out a system with a capability of extra cameras. One over the drive has been sufficient for me.

I’m in two minds whether to replace with another wifi camera (Hikvision possibly) or a network version with an SD capability. This is to avoid using a NVR, as I don’t really need to record for long periods and would save a few quid plus a single camera would be sufficient. The router isn’t a million miles away so I can run an ethernet cable without too much bother but it would have to run externally along a wall.

Wifi versions don’t appear hugely popular from what I have seen, I wonder if that’s primarily down to the fact many perhaps position cameras some distance away from a router where the signal is poor affecting quality. Is the image quality of a network version the main benefit in my scenario opposed to a wifi unit, where I am without an NVR?

The terms do confuse me slightly especially where they are so many different model numbers and variants. You've got IP, network. POE - I know what that is, cable that also takes power, so would use an injector apparently, perhaps near the router to power that cable as router is incapable.

To those with more knowledge, for a single turret camera with say 5mp (assume 4k would fill a card up in no time therefore limited playback) would you go for a wired setup and which camera would you go for and from where? I understand eBay/Amazon is full of imported versions which may not be as good?

172PH1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
We've got the eufy cameras and camera doorbell. Its ok however its slow at giving you notifications but i guess that could be down to phone signal

For what we have them for though they are ideal

Went for a POE NVR in the end.

Dilemma now is which lens size to go for, 2.8 or 4mm. Will be positioned under a garage soffit so only ~2.5m from the ground and not sure whether a 2.8mm lens would be too wide angled.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Went for a POE NVR in the end.

Dilemma now is which lens size to go for, 2.8 or 4mm. Will be positioned under a garage soffit so only ~2.5m from the ground and not sure whether a 2.8mm lens would be too wide angled.
Depends on what area you want it to capture I suppose.

I've got a 2.8mm on my garage soffit and it's bang on for the area I need it to cover.

Depends on what area you want it to capture I suppose.

I've got a 2.8mm on my garage soffit and it's bang on for the area I need it to cover.

Went for a 2.8mm Hilook Colorvu camera with the white LED for coloured night images. Held my previous camera up to where I want to position the new one and there are naturally some blind spots. The field of view on the previous one is similar to a 2.8mm lens so a move to 4mm would create even more of a blind spot to one side.

This has now caused me to plan an additional camera from another angle.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
heres an issue i have, CS may not know the answer though

installed a brand new hikvision system today but cannot flip the images. so everything is upside down

rq9KWf.jpg

779LWl.jpg

KhiDtj.jpg

cameras -

the manual says -

Image Settings Rotate mode, saturation, brightness, contrast, sharpness, gain, white balance adjustable by client software or web browser

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Can you not just turn the camera? It may be a daft shout but when installing my reolink there was a small arrow pointing up but I didn't spot that when installing?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Can you not just turn the camera? It may be a daft shout but when installing my reolink there was a small arrow pointing up but I didn't spot that when installing?
sadly not, the way the housing is designed is s**t.

found the answer, i need to enable virtual host to be able to access all camera settings

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Anyone got a recommendation for a DVR with 4 cameras, maybe like a bundle from hikvision?

Would £800 be a decent budget?
Get those colour bad boys I've got, they're mint. Then get an NVR and I can give you a big hard drive from the ones Kyle gave me. Can't guarantee what dodgeyness is on it from him though, so if the Police come knocking, blame him.

Bish bash bosh.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Get those colour bad boys I've got, they're mint. Then get an NVR and I can give you a big hard drive from the ones Kyle gave me. Can't guarantee what dodgeyness is on it from him though, so if the Police come knocking, blame him.

Bish bash bosh.
You'll have to remind me as it's been ages since we spoke about the actual NVR, does your alert you if someone's around and that? Can you pls link me to both? Thanks hun

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Anyone got a recommendation for a DVR with 4 cameras, maybe like a bundle from hikvision?

Would £800 be a decent budget?
I've got a Hikvision set up.

£60 4 channel DVR. Random 2tb HD I had, and 4 HD colour cams. They are ok but better than nothing. Recording at higher res is a killer for framerate though.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Had a bit of budget creep but I should be set for a while.

And then

4 x 8mp Colorvu & accusense units

Gone for a 16channel nvr because the bandwidth is double compared to the 8 channel units. Apparently the cameras need 20 mbps each and 8 channel Hikvision nvr's only go up to 80mbps so they'd be on the limit.

The way I'm looking at it is that I should only be fitting this once so I want to get the best I can afford at the time.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I've got an 8 Chanel reolink NVR with 5 cameras and 4 official reolink mounting boxes which I'm fairly certain I'm going to be selling soon.

Camera quality is at least on par as the 5mp hikvison ones a neighbor has

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
My neighbour had some stuff nicked off their driveway last week, they have cctv.

They knocked and asked if they could see my footage, they couldn't make out the number plate. My hikvision 8mp camera picked it up fine. Transit was side on driving down the road.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Had a bit of budget creep but I should be set for a while.

And then

4 x 8mp Colorvu & accusense units

Gone for a 16channel nvr because the bandwidth is double compared to the 8 channel units. Apparently the cameras need 20 mbps each and 8 channel Hikvision nvr's only go up to 80mbps so they'd be on the limit.

The way I'm looking at it is that I should only be fitting this once so I want to get the best I can afford at the time.
What size of drive you putting in? As to record at 30fps or say 20 your going to need at least a 3tb or more if you want close to 30 days retention.

Also remember may be easier POE switching up in the loft/rafters so save running individual cables everywhere.

Next is get CCTV signs as if you go outside your property (even as the picture above) you need signs

Just make sure your legal on it and no issues/police questions arise.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
What size of drive you putting in? As to record at 30fps or say 20 your going to need at least a 3tb or more if you want close to 30 days retention.

Also remember may be easier POE switching up in the loft/rafters so save running individual cables everywhere.

Next is get CCTV signs as if you go outside your property (even as the picture above) you need signs

Thanks for that mate. Going to have 2 x 4tb drives on it which should be cool I guess?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

What's the deal with the poe switching? Is that just one little junction box hidden away and then you just run one cable to the box?

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
What's the deal with the poe switching? Is that just one little junction box hidden away and then you just run one cable to the box?
Works in the same way as a network switch. Just it provides power to cameras and network via the switch

POE-Switch-for-IP-Camera.jpg

nvr-poe.png

Diagrams to show.

Essentially you then don't use the NVR for the POE side but rely on the switch and then all cameras are on your standard network and all is happier.

Plus helps on longer runs of over 100m of cable, if it came to it.

What i would do its run 2 cat5/6 from router to PoE switch, then patch leads from PoE switch to the cameras. NVR plug into the Router directly (LAN/WAN Port). Avoids having 8x cables all plugged into the NVR and mess really.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I've got an 8 Chanel reolink NVR with 5 cameras and 4 official reolink mounting boxes which I'm fairly certain I'm going to be selling soon.

Camera quality is at least on par as the 5mp hikvison ones a neighbor has

Out of interest, how much are you looking price wise? How is the night time vision on them?