ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home audio help please?

987 Boxster S
I've got a Denon 1910 and Denon Ipod dock. Something similar will do what you want and buy a blu-ray player to handle the CD playback.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Here's a pic of the speakers and stands in my lounge...

16A89858-694E-441E-81AF-E91A967F3E05-476-000000657C92AA2A.jpg

Those speakers/stands look very smart!

I want my front speakers either side of my fireplace, excuse the crap pic...

85B95BAC-A1C2-4B63-A9CE-4EB926AC7042-1672-000000F9FB6B0EF1.jpg

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Those speakers/stands look very smart!

I want my front speakers either side of my fireplace, excuse the crap pic...

85B95BAC-A1C2-4B63-A9CE-4EB926AC7042-1672-000000F9FB6B0EF1.jpg

Yep that would work well mate. The Aviano's 1XR were used in the richer sounds Manchester demo room last time I was in there and are very highly rated (they were £200 when I bought mine). They are plenty loud enough, you'll be very impressed.

It's all about the quality rather than volume. The speakers don't need to drive base, that's what a sub is for.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If I go down the sub route, where is best to position it?

I've got a lovely little space next to the sofa i'm sat on. Or does it need to be near the Telly??

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Because of the low frequency of subs they can be put almost anywhere as the human ear can't detect the source of those sounds.

In other words by the sofa will be fine...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ace.

So i've had a look around and here's what i'm going to buy.....

Amp thing: http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdn1020/sony-strdn1020

I will use my DVD player as a CD player as I don't have CD's, only the wife does. So I can cut corners there....

Front speakers: http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/mordaunt-short/aviano-1/mord-aviano-1-dk-wal

Front speaker Stands: http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-stands/mission/stancette/miss-stancette-blk

And I will go for a sub: http://www.richersounds.com/product/subwoofers/tannoy/sfx-sub/tann-sfx-sub-blk

Now, is this going to give me a good base to work from?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
If I go down the sub route, where is best to position it?

I've got a lovely little space next to the sofa i'm sat on. Or does it need to be near the Telly??

Yes you can pretty much put it anywhere in the room.

If you want to buy one then get it from these guys...

http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/sub_woofers.htm

They sell the best subs around, I went for the Gemini II which is the smallest of the family (easily enough base to shake my semi).

Their service is second to none and your sub is built to order in your chosen casing (cables are included).

Mine was £240 iirc.

If you can afford the cost then wait mate, I bought mine a few months after the amp + speakers. It'll be worth the wait.

Last edited:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
That Tannoy sub is okay but it won't compliment the speakers your looking at (I had the older version).
The Mission Floorstanders I posted would be better without that sub.

The BK subs are very good. Especially the Monoliths...

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
or just buy the pioneer kit I posted before and save yourself a lot of money! You can always upgrade the speakers later if you find they arnt loud enougth for you (they should be as its 100wrms per channel)... Most amps today are class a and above in fidelity anyway.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
No, my wife decided to take our son to the circus so I had to stay at home with the baby.

I'll be up there next sunday. MAybe even thursday if I can get out of work early enough.

Thank you for all your help though. :)

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
No, my wife decided to take our son to the circus so I had to stay at home with the baby.

I'll be up there next sunday. MAybe even thursday if I can get out of work early enough.

Thank you for all your help though. :)

Brilliant, make sure you post pics and let us know your thoughts once its all up and running.

:)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
At last!!

Today I went out and sought some advice and as a result have purchased...

Cambridge Audio Amp
Cambridge Audio Sub (monster!)
And some DALI bookshelf speakers. (At a later date I will get some stands but I've spent enough £ today!)
And all the relevant cabling.

Got it all from Richer sounds and the guy (Mark, the manager) was superb. He even gave me some danny discount too.

I've jUst spent the last hour setting it all up and OMG!!! I'm blown away, literally. Its like a cinema/nightclub in here now!

Thank you all so much for your help. x

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Good lad. Changed your mind about Richer Sounds then?

Now you need to watch some films with epic soundtracks and top drawer special effects - bye bye weekend ;-)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
As you've got a sub, make sure you let the amp know it's got a sub, so the low stuff goes there and there only.

Glad you've changed your opinion of RS. They've always been spot on IME.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As you've got a sub, make sure you let the amp know it's got a sub, so the low stuff goes there and there only.

Glad you've changed your opinion of RS. They've always been spot on IME.

Do you want me to write it a fcuking love letter??

The sub is wired up how a sub should be, don't worry.

The amp is an amazing bit of kit, the sound quality is unreal!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Welcome to proper audio ;)

What I mean, dearest technophobe, is that the sub is there to do the heavy stuff... leaving the other speakers to do everything else. Just like your car HU when you put a sub in, you then do the lowpass/highpass to ensure the right freqs are going to the right place.

Is it an AV amp, or just a stereo amp ? Model number out of interest ?

/audiophile

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Expensivo. Lol.

Plus all the cabling!! Today was not a cost effective day that's for sure!

I did get a bit of discount though so i'm happy with what was spent.

Although it doesn't compare to how happy I am with the music I now have! :D

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Just take them easy for a little while.. let them bed in a little ;) Don't go cranking it up for a little while. Not too much anyway !

I really want a sub, but my stupid tiny cardboard new build terraced neighbours may not agree :dapprove:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
30 hours running in on the speakers, ideally 60 hours on the sub supposedly.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I haven't got a detatched house, but I don't really care about my neighbours. They'll be out on a sunday morning when I always have my music on and watching films is hardly going to be extreme volume as my kids are upstairs! lol.

I do need a bit of help with the USB/ipod/amp lead though...

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Really pleased mate!

Those Dali speakers are rated very highly.

Did you get some stands for them?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Really pleased mate!

Those Dali speakers are rated very highly.

Did you get some stands for them?

At last!!

Cambridge Audio Amp
And some DALI bookshelf speakers. (At a later date I will get some stands but I've spent enough £ today!)

Got it all from Richer sounds and the guy (Mark, the manager) was superb. He even gave me some danny discount too.

I've jUst spent the last hour setting it all up and OMG!!! I'm blown away, literally. Its like a cinema/nightclub in here now!

;)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
At last!!

Cambridge Audio Amp

Well done. Glad your happy with your purchase. Thought you didnt like richersounds though? Its not 'like a cinema' though as it dosnt have surround sound (you will not be watching/listening in DD5.1/DTS as the director intended)! Im suprised you went for such a basic amp, the 351A dosnt even have a dedicated sub out with an LFE setting does it?!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Well done. Glad your happy with your purchase. Thought you didnt like richersounds though? Its not 'like a cinema' until you get surround sound though! Im suprised you went for such a basic amp, the 351A dosnt even have a dedicated sub out with an LFE setting does it?!

Music is my priority, sound quality. But thank you for belittling me expenditure none the less.

The fact it plays the telly loud is for the kids DVD's.

When chatting to the guy in the shop, he advised me that if I was after better sound, to avoid a gimmicky amp and go for one with better internals.
Having an AV reciever with 100 functions is wasted on me, so i'd rather have better sound and a simpler amp.

The amp has a Sub output. Its wired in now whilst watching Eastenders.

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Sorry mate, I got a little excited :)

Anything else to add at a later date?

Speaker stands, possibly a CD player and I will change some of the cabling as a couple of them aren't long enough and look stretched.

Apart from that, nothing.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Music is my priority, sound quality.

The fact it plays the telly loud is for the kids DVD's.

When chatting to the guy in the shop, he advised me that if I was after better sound, to avoid a gimmicky amp and go for one with better internals.
Having an AV reciever with 100 functions is wasted on me, so i'd rather have better sound and a simpler amp.

The amp has a Sub output. Its wired in now whilst watching Eastenders.

Im suprised it has a dedicated sub output. 2 channel amps like these normally dont as they are designed to work with a pair of larger speakers. Very interesting! How do you set the LFE output range etc on it with no display etc?! (i.e. can you cut the low frequencies to the L/R speakers to reduce the load on the amp)?